Second Birthday Without Him

lcoxwell

Today is my birthday - my second one without my Kenneth, and I am missing him a bit more than usual tonight. It didn't help that memories of past birthdays with him popped up on Facebook, as if I needed the reminder that he is no longer here to celebrate with me. Two years ago, I knew it would be my last one with him. I knew he wouldn't live to see another one. Even though he had beat the odds for 13 years, I just knew he was going downhill and that the days of beating the odds were getting fewer and fewer. As sick as he was, though, he made the efforts to try and make my birthday special, even though he was bed-bound and unable to take me out or buy me a present. I don't think I will ever have another birthday, without thinking of the last one with him and wishing he was still here.

Happy Birthday, Leslie.  In a way, I'm glad you have your birthday memories of Kenneth.  I only have one real birthday memory of John...my birthday was the day after we met.  The rest...well, we never really celebrated them much.

But today, may you have good memories of Kenneth, and I hope you get to celebrate with NewGuy, too.

Maureen

I haven't had time to come here and thank you all for the well-wishes and birthday greetings. My birthday ended up being a nice one, but it just isn't the same, without my Kenneth. I think that is, in part, because it was this time of year, three years ago, when I first realized that he was going downhill fast. Now, every year, during the time I should be celebrating my birthday and Thanksgiving and Christmas, I am reminded that this was when I first knew I was truly losing him.

* sigh....

I am sorry I missed this post. I want to wish you a Happy Birthday. I also want to say I get your response- my birthday is December 23, and about Thanksgiving was when I was really starting to panic- one additional operation had turned into three to be scheduled, I went back to Canada to attend a memorial for my sister Hilda, was gone 4 days only, came back, my birthday and he died New Year's Day. I so get this.

huge hugs

Marian