social security question

Carey

My husband had another child, who lives in Utah.  She's 18 but still in high school. When she finishes school or turns 19 she will "fall off" and SS has told me that hers will be added back to my kids. So , in theory when my daughter turns 19, will hers also be added back? Like does the amount vary by the number of children you have or is it a set amount separated evenly between each child and the amount doesn't change? does that make any sense?

It's a set amount divided up between all the children.

Children lose their benefits when they turn 18 or graduate from high school - whichever comes first. Which mean that they are definitely able to keep the benefit til they finish high school but if they were to graduate at say 17 and turn 18 after, the graduation date is what trumps.

Yes, your older daughter's money will revert to the younger children. The overall amount is always the same and is just divided among eligible kids.

One thing though, at age 16, the money is theirs. Until then, the money comes to you as the caregiver but at 16 (as I understand it) the money goes directly to them and your name will not be on the check or the direct deposit. An odd thing but the benefit is technically theirs and not the surviving parent. I am not sure what Uncle Sam was thinking when he decided that a 16 year old should get a monthly benefit in their own right but that's gov't for you.

I think now the age is 19 as long as they are in high school and when they are 18 the money is theirs. Cause my Katie is going to be 18 in June and hers still comes to me. But that's good that the overall amount stays the same.  Eases my mind just a little because my youngest turned 16 in November.  At least I have 3 more years ... because he's only in the 9th grade bless his heart lol

One thing though, at age 16, the money is theirs. Until then, the money comes to you as the caregiver but at 16 (as I understand it) the money goes directly to them and your name will not be on the check or the direct deposit. An odd thing but the benefit is technically theirs and not the surviving parent. I am not sure what Uncle Sam was thinking when he decided that a 16 year old should get a monthly benefit in their own right but that's gov't for you.

I would contact SS directly.  I still receive all monies into my account FBO the kids who are 15 and 17.

Great link. Thanks!  There are a variety of clear cut rules that interact in specific well defined ways. The result is that some things vary across family situation while others remain constant across the board. Here is a link to some more of the rules. If you want to ask a question about your own situation but do not want to post it publicly, feel free to shoot me a PM. I may be able to help, I may not.

http://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou5.html

Guest Bear1956

You use to get SS until age 21 if still in college but that changed with Ronald Reagan. Uncle Sam sez that your kids should be shown the door when they turn 18, or graduate from high school. BTW, 21 is the old English common law age for adulthood.

There is an individual maximum amount for each survivor, and there is also a family maximum that cannot be exceeded. Individual amounts are often reduced in order to meet the family maximum amount.

As each child ages out, the benefit amounts of those remaining will increase to the personal maximum but only if that will not cause the family as a whole to exceed the family maximum.

I have two kids and as a family of three we are at family maximum and all receiving less than our individual maximum amounts. When my oldest son ages out, then my younger son and I will increase to our full individual amount. Overall I will receive less SS than I do now, but not a full 1/3rd less.