kids say the darneist things

imissdow

So today after church I'm in the parking lot talking to a Evan. We are good friends and have gone out to dinner a few times, over the past year.  So my youngest 9yo DD comes up and says to me.  "mommy didn't you say you wanted a date with Evan"  I replied that no I don't think I had said that.  So I talked with her about her desire for a new daddy. Told her that would take some time to happen if ever.  Evan seemed to take this all in stride. We talked for a few more minutes. Laughed about my DD putting me in a awkward situations.  Oh my gosh!! Will this ever end!  This kid has a knack for catching me off-guard with her comments.  I wish I could make it stop.  I guess I should be glad she didn't come up and make any comments about us kissing.  She did that last month in front of one of my girlfriends. 

Could be a blessing in disguise.  Maybe Evan will ask you out on an official date.  My daughters have put me on the spot a few times too. Yesterday, thankfully, my youngest made her comment to just me. We spent the day with a family friend. She said,  "I really like Bob. He talks and thinks just like dad." I'm not surprised. They were best friends.

• 2 weeks later...

So today after church I'm in the parking lot talking to a Evan. We are good friends and have gone out to dinner a few times, over the past year.  So my youngest 9yo DD comes up and says to me.  "mommy didn't you say you wanted a date with Evan"  I replied that no I don't think I had said that.  So I talked with her about her desire for a new daddy.

Thought I'd share this with you. I just googled it and was able to find the book and the page I had read,

The book is titled, Healing Children's Grief: Surviving a Parent's Death from Cancer by Grace Hyslop Christ

Pg. 53, last two sentences on page -

*Children fairly quickly began to seek out attention and care from adults who were the same gender as the dead parent which at times embarrassed the surviving parent because of their directness.Older children also searched for a replacement parent, but their approach was usually more subtle.

Even if your husband did not die from cancer, like my DH, it was helpful in identifying my kid's grief.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

MENOPAUSE: I can't decide if I need a hug, six shots or 3 months of sleep! Arrgh!

Guest TooSoon

Our girls are cut from the same cloth.  This summer, I bought lunch for M and her pals at the pool and we were all sitting around the table and one of them said, "M, why isn't your Dad here?"  and she said, "My Dad is dead but don't worry, I'm going to be getting a new Dad real soon."  Okay then!  News to me! 

As M veers toward tweendom, I'm trying to cherish these moments as I have no clue what's up next.....

PS - I think YOU should ask HIM out on a date!  Hugs.