Catherine's Memory Honored by Her Niece

Guaruj

Catherine and I both wanted to have children, but could not - her cancer stood in the way of that. She has two sets of nieces and nephews, both of which live far away. When they came to visit in the summer, Catherine would always take them to the beach on the north shore of Massachusetts. At Christmastime, Catherine made cards by hand and decorated cookies with her nieces and nephews. All of that ended, of course, in July 2014, when Catherine passed away.

On this Christmas, I was very pleasantly surprised by Catherine's niece, who is now 12 years old. When I met her family, she gave me a Christmas card that she made herself. She then offered me a cookie. It looked like one of those Pillsbury sugar cookies that you slice and bake (or eat raw :) ). She had decorated the cookie to look like a chubby little penguin.

I was stunned. I don't believe anyone else prodded her to do these things, because nobody else in her family would do that themselves. I looked at that cookie and told her that I wished Catherine could see this. She then asked me if I wanted another one. I told her that if she gave me another one, I would leave it on Catherine's grave. I asked Catherine's niece if she would do that instead, for it would have meant the world to Catherine.

I visited Catherine the next day and, sure enough, there was a penguin cookie. We had snow and freezing rain soon thereafter, so now the cookie is encased in ice.

Like many wids here, I found the "second Christmas" to be sadder than I expected. I must say that one cookie made me happier than any of the presents I received this year.

what a lovely thing to have happened

Your niece obviously Loved your Catherine

and the only good thing about the ice is that is has preserved this wonderful cookie for awhile

I agree I find the second year for these holidays to be so much harder, but I hope this helped

I find kids are the most honest when it comes to asking or talking about who we have lost

My neighbors son who is 8 considered My don his best fried and talks about him often

I love that ,

Just the other day he said "I miss that old guy"  brought a huge smile to my face

take care

Such a lovely tribute from a young niece to honor her favorite aunt. Catherine made good memories with her. The bond between a loving aunt and her niece is never broken. I think of my Auntie even now. Catherine was a good lady.

That is absolutely heart warming!  Such a beautiful thoughtful gift, bless her heart.  :'(

I never knew before DH's death men could be so loving, caring and compassionate.

This was our 10th Christmas w/out DH. His friends send out Christmas cards without fail and far ahead of me -its so nice to have them remember us, most importantly DH. And its been years since I've seen most of them.  8)

The second one was very hard for me also, and the first. Every holiday, birthday, special occasion was different, I never knew what to expect. That really sucked!

I've prayed for peace in your journey.