Moving eulogy from Monty Williams at his wife's funeral

Portside

I was just going to post this. I also loved the forgiveness theme and the complete lack of enmity for the driver of the car that killed his wife.

I gave the eulogy at my wife's funeral, and while mine was nothing approaching that of Mr. Williams, I also was composed and dry-eyed the whole time. I got rave reviews (if such a thing can be said about a eulogy, lol) and compliments about how strong I was, just as he is getting.

However, as most here will understand, I was still in some form of shock, as I imagine Mr. Williams was. Hopefully those close to him will understand that it is very likely that he will crumble at some point. It is very painful for me to know these things ahead of time and not be able to somehow save him from the crumble, but it's just something he'll likely have to get through on his own.

This is a very moving and inspiring speech. However, the first time I watched it, I had similar thoughts to what Serpico posted. I remember our family pouring everything into a celebration of life for my wife. It was a wonderful event that people will talk about for years. But when the party was over, the real pain began. 

I am glad to have seen some comments from the NBA and sports community that show that they realize that Mr. Williams has a difficult road ahead. As strong as he is, he will need the help of friends. Wishing all the best for Mr. Williams.

My husband did not want a funeral service. I went against his wishes, because I felt his parents really needed it. It was a celebration of life and far from traditional, as in we opened it with T's favorite song, "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" from Monty Python. We had many times of laughter during the service, which T would have loved. I also retained my composure, only because I was honestly still in shock. I remember having dry mouth for the first time in my life, so bad it was hard to talk at times.

I think that may have given people a false sense that I was so strong and would be fine. I was far from it for quite some time. I'm still not fine yet, almost 3 years later. I remember one of our friends telling me after the service that I was amazing and had done so well. I told him honestly I didn't feel amazing, I wanted to throw myself on the floor and scream and flail about. I also hope Mr. Williams will have people who will be there to support him on the days the pain becomes too much to be gracious or at peace.