New guy? Birthday

imissdow

About 6 weeks ago I posted about a guy I had met who lives almost a hour from me. I decided to take a chance and start seeing him. Met at a pizza place and spent 4 hours chatting. Date 2&3 we stayed till the restaurant closed. Our last date was shorter , 4.5 hours because I had to pick up a kid. For some reason he still hasn't tried to kiss me. I get a hug and that's it. We haven't talked about being exclusive and I'm not quite sure what to think about all this. So his birthday is this weekend and I'm not sure what to do. If he was my boyfriend i would figure out a gift for him. However I still don't know him really well and being that I really don't know our status I'm not sure what's appropriate. Any thoughts?

How about offering to treat him to dinner to celebrate his birthday? I agree that a gift might be awkward.

As for not trying to kiss you, he may be cautious for your sake.  Is there any flirting when you're together or in between meetings on the phone or by text?  He might just need some clear signals from you.  I shocked myself when I started to see NG that I could even remember how to flirt. I found that part of getting to know each other very fun and exciting and making sure we had chemistry important in deciding to move forward with dating him.

Glad to hear the dates are going well, have fun!

I'd probably just offer to take him out to dinner or something. Too soon for a gift I'd think, unless it's something small with a simple meaning, like his favorite candy or such. BF and I were only dating 2 weeks when it was his birthday last June, so I only wished him happy birthday at that point.

It took a while for BF to kiss me too, third or fourth date maybe? He wanted to go slow because he wanted to make sure we were friends first before getting physical. I on the other hand after being without for three years couldn't wait and was a little aggressive, lol. He did bring up the exclusive talk pretty soon, about around 3 weeks of dating? We live close though and saw each other often though, so a different situation. 

Sometimes guys like to take it slow....but it sounds like a good start : )  I was dating my exBF for about 3+ weeks (4 dates) when he asked me to be exclusive, although in hindsight that was a bit fast for me. His b-day was 4 weeks into our new relationship (so we were exclusive at that point) and I wanted to do something special so I took him out for dinner at  a nice restaurant + brought a small bottle of champagne and a card. I remember how happy and spoiled he felt : )

Given the point you are at in your relationship, I agree a gift is too soon but a thoughtful gesture I am sure would be appreciated. I would reach out to him, mention that his bday is coming up, and offer either a dinner out or if you can think of another outing that he would particularly enjoy (a show or some local event) as a celebration ! I am sure he will appreciate it. If he doesn't...that will tell you something too.   

Thanks guys, I talked to him today and invited him to lunch on Saturday. He seemed pleased with the offer. It's the only time I could make it work this weekend. He's having dinner with his sister and breakfast tomorrow with a friend. Sounds like he will be celebrating all weekend.