Birth announcement when one parent passed away

Tatianakm

Hello,

I was trying to think it over if I should send out my daughter's birth announcement. My husband passed away when she was only 3 weeks old. She is seven weeks old now. I decided to go ahead with it. How should I sign the announcement: the late ( husband' s name) and my name? Mrs. (late husband's name) my last name? What is your insight? I wanted my daugther to have that keepsake, as her birth was truly the most joyful occasion for both my LH and I, I know he would want me to... What is the proper way to sign?

Tatiana, I want to reach through my computer and give you a real life tight hug. I'm so sorry you are having to even think about this issue. I definitely think you should do the announcements. Having not been in your situation, I honestly don't know what to suggest on wording. But I don't think you should worry about what might be a "proper" way to sign it. Just follow your heart and think about what might be most meaningful to both you and your daughter now and in the future.

Maybe you could sign with/list both your names as he was here for her birth and is her father and then add a notation saying that although he only got to enjoy her for a few weeks, they were the happiest weeks of both of your lives? Just a suggestion. I'm big on not worrying about conventional "rules" in our situations, just doing what feels right. (Understanding that none of this feels right, of course).

Again, I'm sending you tight hugs and love...

Tatiana  What a lovely thing to do in making a birth announcement.  SVS has wise words to follow your heart, there are no rules in this. 

The only thing that I can offer is to think of your daughter's perspective of the announcement in the future.  The proper way to sign is however you feel is the best way. 

Big (((hugs)))

I have seen some really nicely made birth announcements with photographs embedded in them.  Perhaps you can include a few casual photos, including her dad holding her?  Perhaps caption the photos for a little story?  On (date) Baby's dad and I welcomed her in to the world.  She is the light of our lives.....

Hugs,

Maureen

I like Maureen's idea too. I never sent out birth announcements (dh died when youngest was 9 months), since I was in the midst of barely making it through each day of dh's cancer treatment, but I did make sure I sent out Christmas cards. I used to send out a picture card of all the kids each year. They were the last ones I ever sent. Haven't since dh died 3.5 years ago.

I would definitely send them if I were you though with your dh's name on them. ((Hugs)) to you as you go through this situation.

Maureen had a wonderful idea. If you are unable to put more then one picture you could put the caption Maureen mention.  Main thing is just to send what feels right to you, and not worry what is proper or what others would want. 

Well, I got my thoughts together, mastered some concentration long enough to design a beautiful announcement for my daughter's birth. Took your advice and followed my heart. I must say I really liked it and can not wait to get it back from the printing service. I liked it so much, that i am thinking of doing Holiday cards the same way. Being just two of us, without children, for so many years, my husband and I used to make a lighthearted fun of the families who sent out the cards with their children on it. We even considered sending out a card with us and our two cats at the time. Now that he passed, i might just do a Holiday card with me and our daughter, maybe even muscle one cat to be in it. That is what's left from my perfect bubble family: myself, our kid and his cat. I miss him...

But thank you very much for listening and support, means a lot to me.