OT real estate agents pros cons?

Sugarbell

What did you all think???

I bought our new home by owner..great deal cut out the middle man...had it inspected, they had a real estate attorney draw up deed, paperwork, etc. I found it on Zillow. When I was house hunting I was checking the online mobile sites daily.

I have worked my ass off getting this house ready. I followed all the "sell quick" rules. I want to price it right and have checked with 2 contractors, did research..I know the market here..I hav obsessively read nightly.

I don't know the paperwork.

My realtor is a good friend...she's coming tomorrow with her paperwork..I know she wants me in contract with her. I feel like I am Just handing her 10K off my house for nothing.

But maybe I  am missing something?? Please anyone whose sold..chime in!

I don't think I would sell without an agent.  I had multiple offers on my house within 48 hours of it being listed, and it ended up selling for more than ask.  I really credit that to the strategy my agent used.  Also, if you list yourself, you have to deal with the showings.  That is a time taker, and there can be security concerns involved.  BUT as with all things, some are better than others, so a good agent is worth it, I think.  I have also heard of people negotiating with their agents to reduce the commission.  I would try that the next time.

Good luck!  It is such a lot of work to get a house ready to sell.  Hope you get it sold quickly.

Kate

I considered selling my properties without an agent as the market was hot and I thought I could handle it all. I have a good buddy who is an agent who, of course, just rolled her eyes at me and my announcement.

She said to me "What are you going to ask for the properties?" I had done all the research and was certain I was asking the correct prices. I told her what my asking prices were.

She laughed at me.

Fine, she said - I'll make a deal with you: Let me list each property. If I don't sell them for at least $100,000 more than your stated asking prices within 45 days, you won't owe me anything, otherwise - my regular cut.

Deal!

She sold the condo in three weeks and my house in one day. The house sold so fast it didn't even get into the MLS. The selling prices were far in excess of what I thought they would sell for.

I happily paid her the commission.

Good luck! - Mike

I agree with using an agent, for all the reasons folks stated. My house is on the market, and I have a place lined up to move to. There's a good chance my current house won't sell before I move, unfortunately; the market in my area is slow for this type of property. Since I have an agent, I don't have to be concerned with marketing, house showings, etc., while I'm several hours away.