Help needed from golfers/social event planners

Kater

My husband loved golf. You would have a hard time finding anyone that knew him that would not describe him as a golfer.  He worked at a golf course from time to time and was so socially outgoing that so many people in golf circles knew and loved him.

So shortly after he died, I get this idea to have a golf tournament in his memory.  I waffled back and forth...it would give me a project for the summer (I have 4 months off), it would be a chance for his golf buddies to get together, tell stories, and remember, and for me I get to participate with his buddies and hear the stories, etc.  The downside...I don't always feel I have the energy or mental strength to take it on.  A few of our friends have really encouraged me to do it and offered to help.  So I have a day booked, and have started spreading the word, although informally at this point (still giving myself an out).

I have golfed in a few tourneys and even helped organize one at work but many many years ago.  Plus DH helped a lot.  So I feel like I want to do it, but am apprehensive.  I suppose to follow my own "advice" I should feel the fear and do it anyway (ha ha...another thread).

Any golfers out there with advice?  I want to keep it fun and light.  Suggestions for format/rules?  Anything I need to think about?

Hi Kater!

A golf tournament is a great idea - but a LOT of work (all worth it, I assure you). We organized one the year my husband died and held it every year for five years. After time, the interest drops off a bit, so after five years we had a harder time getting the head count needed to host a shotgun tournament.

Sounds like you are already underway. You've chosen a date. Do you have a course in mind? Some courses have stricter rules about the minimum number of players. You need to contact the course to see what their rules are -- and how much they would charge per player. I can give you all the specifics you need. Feel free to message me.

DonnaP

Great idea. To make it a fun day, make it an Ambrose event for teams of 4 or 6 depending on the number of people who enter. This is a great format if you're expecting a lot of non-golfers.

First things first:

1: Course, Date and Time: You've got this sorted.

2: Cost: Check with the course how much they will charge you per player. Negotiate with them on the basis that they will sell a lot of refreshments. Consider food/snacks for the players.

3: Prizes

3.1: Decide on what type of prizes you wish to provide as this will determine how much you can charge people to play. People usually play for the fun element of an Ambrose event, with bragging rights on the line;

3.2: Get a trophy in your husband's memory, awarded to the best score on the day, and awarded to winners each year thereafter. You can decide in due course whether the best score is Gross or Net - your organising committee/group can decide this.

3.3: Seek prizes from local companies or people willing to sponsor. Or ask players to donate prizes - you'd be surprised at how many people have stuff in their garages and attics they've hoarded and forgotten about.

4: Organising Group

Find 3-4 people from the golf club or friends who must be golfers to help you organise and run the event for you. They need to be golfers so they know the proper process for doing the draws, tee allocation, handicapping (especially if there are a lot of non-golfers playing, etc..

These are just some of the higher-level matters you need to organise. It sounds like a lot of work but it can also be a lot of fun. To really get some traction with your local community, you may want to consider a local charity you can target in your husband's name and make the golf tournament a fund-raiser for the charity. That's when you can really pull in the sponsorship.

Good luck. Drop me a message if you want to explore other options. In case you haven't guessed, I play golf... :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks Taurus and Donna for your help with this.  What you both helped me to realize was that my "organizing committee" was just me.  I have reached out to a few of hubby's golf friends and got some great advice and help from them.  Registration forms are being sent out, so I am committed now.  Gulp.  He marshalled at the golf course and worked in the club house last summer.  I am confident all the marshals and staff will help me in some way and all will be fine. 

The first really nice thing already happened today.  Just started to ask for some prizes.  A friend reached out to someone that had met my husband a couple of times on the golf course.  His response was "for S, anything".  I was just looking for a few prizes and this guy brought up being a sponsor...not something I was looking for or expecting.  It was a special reminder of how well liked he was.  He was always a gentleman both on and off the course.  He was super fun, super patient.  Before I gave up golfing, I would hack around and he'd patiently wait for me.  Never gave me or anyone advice on their game unless they asked (he was good too). Just really loved everything about the game.  I think it will be a really special day and worth the work.

• 1 month later...

Two sleeps until the big event.  Weather is supposed to be perfect.  I Ended up with 16 teams and tons of prizes.  A friend today mentioned he was a golf pro for 20 years and never knew anyone that was better at rounding up free stuff than my hubby.  Another friend said he was shameless but endearing.  I used all that to my advantage...

It's been an interesting week.  I have pretty much been immersed in organizing this tournament (thanks goodness I don't work right now!) and have been remarkably "at peace" with the reason for it.  I have had many happy memories of S come up.  Am very much looking forward to spending the day where he loved to be, surrounded by friends and family that thought so much of him. 

The tourney was Friday, and I JUST said to my mom tonight (she came from out of town to help) that I really should have taken pictures .  I am a terrible picture taker at the best of times.  I was the main organizer so was busy coordinating lunch time with prize time, visiting with as many people as I could....should have designated someone to take pics.  Oh well. 

But it was fabulous.  The weather could not have been more perfect.  One golfer said they imagined Mother Nature said rain, but S said, nope, sun today.  I had a friend who does many events step in 6 days before.  He made the best pamphlets with the rules, etc. and helped with some really special details at the end.  I posted elsewhere that S's brother was a bit of an annoyance, which I was worried about, but other than that, it was a day that S would have been both honoured and humbled by.

Thanks for your words of wisdom and encouragement.  I did think about them in the process.

Congratulations, so glad everything well well for your special Remembrance Day. Something to think about whether you want to make an annual event now that you've experienced your first event and will have learned how to improve on things.

You might have a budding new career  :D