Much needed boost...

SoVerySad

I spoke with my daughter's counselor the other day. We both agreed she is doing much better, which is such a relief. I was afraid she might regress with the new school year, but it hasn't so far. The counselor told me she's really been working hard in Therapy. This is the girl who repeatedly refused to go to counseling until she really crashed right before the holidays last year. So even if your kids refuse to go, they may agree in the future. Don't lose hope.

The counselor told me she wants me to know that she counsels a lot of teens and rarely has she ever had one who has such a good relationship with her mother. She told me that my daughter seems to feel 100% secure in my love and support. She never mentions us fighting (we really don't) or me making her feel inadequate. She does think I'm a little overprotective at times, but has told the counselor she understands why. She also told her that she can see I've put a lot of effort into allowing her more independence even though it is hard for me.

On a daily basis, I feel so scattered and like I'm failing everything, because I can't do anything well when I'm spread so thin. This was such a blessing to hear that I'm doing well with such an important issue. I guess my prioritizing has been a little better than I realized.

Every parent's dream is to hear words like this from a counselor about their child.  Your efforts are being validated.  I am feeling joy in reading your post.  Good job Momma!!! 

I was told that parenting teen-agers would be more time consuming and would require more time than when they were younger.  This is true for me.  As much as I appreciate their growing independence, there are days when I wish they took naps, went to bed at 7:30, and loved mac n' cheese 3 times a week. 

Thank you all so much for posting. It really did help to hear it. I use it now to redirect my thoughts when I feel like I fail at everything now. I also really wanted others to know that even kids who are adamant about no counseling may change their mind at a future date. In my case, I think she could see positive changes in me once I started going to counseling, so she realized maybe it could help her as well.