3 years

Trying

In 5 hours it will be 3 years since I last held Tim and said my final goodbye to him.  3 years that at times feels like yesterday but mostly now feels like a life time ago.  My life has changed in so many ways both big and small.  2 of our boys have graduated high school, our little boy will soon be a teen, we moved, I went back to school and changed careers, I fell in love. 

The lead up to this sadiversary is so different than the last two.  The good memories are out numbering the awful memories of his last 4 months, I don't find myself reliving that time like I did the first two years.  While I'm still dealing with some difficulties with my oldest son, he seems to be embracing a new opportunity and for the first time I feel cautiously optimistic that he is on a good path. I am more at peace with myself and the decisions I have made, both the good and the questionable ones.

I am honoring him in a way that is very meaningful to me by attending a conference all week on Oncology Massage.  We were able to write the name of a loved one affected by cancer on a board in the front of the room without having to tell a story or share any details.  So all day I could look up and see his name while I learned about how I can improve the quality of life for others suffering from cancer and cancer treatment.  I was glad to be able to acknowledge him without having to share my story and get emotional in front of a roomful of strangers. 

I can't control cancer, it stole my Dad, it stole my husband, it stole my mom's breast.  I'm not smart enough to find a cure.  But with my touch and my compassion I can help to ease some of the pain and side effects of this awful disease and the havoc that treatment causes on the body and spirit and hopefully help a few people feel less alone in their battle.  This is how I am choosing, at 3 years out, to manage my grief.  It won't bring Tim back but it is helping me to keep living.

Hugs, D. 

I hope you can have some peace this week while remembering Tim.  Your post brought me back to the years we worked together and I remember you pregnant with your oldest son.  (We were so young back then!)  I hope your course can keep you focused away from the harder memories of Tim's last moments.

This is my week, too...7 years for Barry on Thursday.

Hugs,

Maureen