Talk about triggers

Guest oneoftwo

Guest oneoftwo

Bob Dylan just wins a Nobel prize!

My love is smiling for sure, Bob was his favorite

I'm sobbing as I play Bob's "Wedding Song", which we had the band learn and play as our first dance

It just really never goes away, I need to learn to deal with this

Triggers can come from literally anywhere. I am dealing with the Chicago Cubs, my husband's favorite team, just winning NLDS and now going to the NCLS. He should be here enjoying it but he died before baseball season even started this year. I look through my pictures and he wore his Cubs shirts constantly and with pride. Hard not to react to all the media hub hub going on!

Julester3, I know what you mean!! My husband is was a die hard Cleveland fan.  He died 2 weeks after the Cavs lost to Golden State in the NBA finals only for them to turn around and win this past year; and now the Indians are on their run.. At least I can always count on the Browns not to win anything  ;D  But when I was packing up his clothes he has a Browns t-shirt that says "Just one before I die"

InOverMyHead,

Yeah, I also have a slew of Chicago Bears shirts and Illini shirts - both not doing so hot on the sports front. My husband was a huge sports fan. I funnily enough don't miss the football. I'd have him glued to the TV Saturdays for college ball and Sundays for NFL. The poor dog would be in distress with him yelling at the TV on poor plays and bad calls! :P

I had another random trigger on my way home from work....stupid sentimental song on the radio! Ugh! I wish I could just drive in silence but the music drowns all the excessive churning my brain does.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry guys, I know how they just pop up. The other night I was at a neighbors who somehow came up with a large box of random wines, and told me to pick a bottle. Bam! the Portuguese wine made me tear up. He and his wife were stunned for a minute but handled it well and I just brushed it off, but I sure wasn't expecting that.

Triggers are so tough. Some of mine are understandable, some odd.

Seeing the empty dock where his boat used to be.

FB Memory pictures that pop up.

Seeing TGIF frozen chicken wings in the freezer section of our local grocery store (he tended to pick these up when we were out food shopping together)

Seeing a black Dodge Ram 1500 on the road (older model) - I bought him this truck after we were married

Hearing certain Rihanna songs which I remember listening to with him.

When our child has large benchmarks in his life (birthdays, starting kindergarden etc)

So many triggers!  Can't name them all.  Definitely the cubbies, die hard fan and being in the south, people remember his passion and make comments to me.  I am an Illini grad, too.  Julester3.  I have an official chief shirt, video of the last dance and last dance framed pic from Assembly Hall where I worked in college.  My license plate is the Chief, so when people comment I remember my DH got all that for me in 2007.  Every major death of a singer/artist, and I am like, oh, DH is hanging with Bowie, Prince, etc.

I am having a hard time with my kids confirmation classes I attend some.  When they discuss things,  it is such a kid level of thinking but I know my kid has such a deeper thought process than worrying about passing a class and praying about it.  He knows death and some things  can't be changed, even with prayer.  I have to hold it together sometimes, triggers....

Apparently Halloween is a trigger for me, too.  We didn't have kids but everyone is posting pictures of their little ones dressed up and I see Dad's out with their kids trick or treating and I know DH would have LOVED every minute of it. He would have been the best dad ever.

Yes, some are so predictable,  then some so random. I have never bought horse food , never even been in the store. But I know where he bought it. Walked into the store and lost it, just knowing he used to go there. DIdn't even buy the feed . I could understand it if we'd been there together...