Applying for Social Security Benefits

pamtxmom

Dealing with the business of death while you're still grieving sucks!  But, I looked on the SSA website and gathered and organized all the documents I needed.  The worst part was the hour wait for my turn at the window.

He said most people don't have what they need when they came in, so it made things go smoother for me that I had everything ready.  I have a daughter still in high school, so the benefits are for her now. 

I'll get the one time death benefit, and be eligible to apply for survivor benefits around the same time my daughter graduates high school.

Has anyone waited past age 60 to apply for survivor benefits so that you could get a higher $ amount?

I tell people to make an appointment at social security. I waited just 5 minutes for my turn when I went. I don't think I could have sat there for an hour.

I got $200 only and was told I can't collect any widows benefits because I am working. I have to wait another 19 years and stay single in order to find out if I can collect any widows benefits.

The business of death sucks. It is so unbearable to deal with all of this stuff in the throes of grief. I remember just feeling like a robot going from bank to bank to sort things out and yes, also waiting in the social security office, thinking WTF happened to my charmed life.

I tried to make an appointment but could never get through to make one.  So, I just took my chances and went in.

I tell people to make an appointment at social security. I waited just 5 minutes for my turn when I went. I don't think I could have sat there for an hour.

I got $200 only and was told I can't collect any widows benefits because I am working. I have to wait another 19 years and stay single in order to find out if I can collect any widows benefits.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nonesuch

As I understand it, a widow or widower has the option of collecting on the deceased spouse's social security, but only if he or she remains unmarried up to the age of 60. My husband earned twice what I did, so it was in my best interest to stay single until I turned 60.  YMMV  There are many factors, such as whether you're disabled yourself, how much you earn, etc.