Social Security

Bear Tomás

I did it Barney.  I’m not sure it was the right thing to do or not.  But I started collecting Jims SS when I was 61. (When I retire, I can collect mine if it is more than Jim’s.)

Jim died at 48.  I am now 66.  I plan on working until my boss tells me I’m too senile to show up.  It’s hard to know what to do.  If Jim had lived, I would have retired at 62.

I’ve heard both sides of the argument.  Wait as long as you can or get it as soon as you can.

My dad retired at 62 and said “If I had known that I was going to live this long, I would have kept working”. He retired at 62, and what seemed like a lot of money then, eventually was not enough to live on.  By the time he died (age 92) his children were supporting him.

I guess that’s the problem. The answer only comes with hindsight.

But I started collecting Jims SS when I was 61. (When I retire, I can collect mine if it is more than Jim’s.)

Laurie's uncle did the same which was a win-win for him.

My dad and his dad both retired at 62 and lived to be 95 (dad) and 94 (Grandpa) but I doubt I'll be as lucky.  ;)

I turned 60 in April and am seriously thinking about collecting ss as a surviving spouse rather then wait until age 62. Anyone else go that route?

IIRC, Laurie had a lot more banked?  I guess you'd need to figure out the numbers.  You can always draw hers and switch to yours later, but I guess pay attention to how much hers might go up if you wait, if it does.  I know that drawing from hers doesn't affect yours at all.

Take care,

Rob T

You can collect as a surviving a spouse then switch to yours at your retirement age, they are independent of each other. Now, whether to take yours early or at full retirement age is all a numbers game...

This item from Prudential may help. Leveraging survivor and retirement benefits can maximize lifetime benefits especially with DRC's.

http://research.prudential.com/view/page/rp/32262

• 2 weeks later...