What if it comes up?

MrsDan

I have a job interview this tomorrow and Friday. A dinner meeting with the director and an all day series of interviews and tours with the whole staff on Friday. Because this involves meals, and the job involves relocating I'm a little worried my family life may come up. I know they're not supposed to ask, but still I could come up. Thoughts?

I would think that the truth is in order here.  You certainly won't capitalize on it, but being open and honest with as little detail and back story should suffice.  It could be something as simple as:

" I have been widowed for X years.  I was fortunate enough to to have had X years of a solid marriage (or whatever blanket statement about the relationship).  Tell me about your family?"

If they ask what happened, it's up to you to continue or to say that you really aren't comfortable discussing it.  Give them the quiet moment to feel awkward and move on.

Good luck with the interview!!

It always comes up in my interviews because they want to know about the year long break in employment.  I stick to simple facts.  My family and I were in a car accident, in which my husband was killed.  I have never had to say anything more than that.  Its like it smacks them in the head and they just move to the next thing.  I don't soften it up or make it more dramatic because that simple statement does enough.  I think that if you leave it vague, it leaves room for them to ask more questions.  Sometimes just putting it on the table is enough to discourage further discussion if that is what you want.

Good luck with your interview!!!

Lynn

I think if it comes up, a simple statement of the facts  and keep the conversation moving. They don't need details.  Focus on what they need to know which is that you are able to relocate and that you have family in the area.

Good luck with the interview!  I can't wait to hear what you think about the job.

I agree with everyone who said that you should stick with the facts. I've found that 99% of the people that I tell about Alex will quickly change the conversation so I don't think you'll really have to talk about it that much.

Good luck!!!