Po'd at school "policy"

I'm so mad right now, getting ready to send a response in regards to this to my daughter's school.  DD graduates on Friday, there are several different ceremonies scheduled this week.  Ughh 

Portion of the email received from school:

"BACCALAUREATE CEREMONY – SENIORS ARRIVE AT 6:30 PM.  The ceremony is for seniors, parents, and faculty.  Due to the nature and purpose of the ceremony, tickets are available to parents and step-parents only. Please do not request additional tickets.  ....... "

As a widow and solo parent, I realize that I'm an outlier.  For the ceremony, I'm bringing my mom along, otherwise I'd be sitting through this alone.  Maybe I'm being a bit too sensitive about this?    Let's hope I don't get stopped at the door. >:(

trying2breathe,

No you aren't being too sensitive about this, but and I'm not siding with the school, they need to limit the number of people attending, schools are getting bigger and families are getting larger...if you include all the steps, grandparents etc. 

When my daughter graduated, her school limited tickets to parents and grandparents, some kids brought 10 or 12 people to include all the people that can possibly fall under that category.  For my son's graduation they limited tickets to parents and step parents.  I happened to know the vice principle of their school and actually talked to her.  My daughter went with me and moving forward their policy is to limit the number of tickets per student to 4, regardless of who those 4 tickets are for; if tickets are available beyond that more can be 'requested'.  Which is still not a great system because then some families get parents and grandparents etc. But for me, it was better than arbitrarily deciding some kids get 4 people and some get 1. 

It's a shitty, imperfect system and I would email the school, to make sure that they are aware that there are family situations beyond 2 parents or 2 parents and 2 step parents. 

Because I'm trying to not be completely cynical, I would like to believe they will change it moving forward. 

Congrats on your daughter's graduation and hugs, for me it was such a bitter-sweet event. 

A set amount of tickets should be allotted per student to use as they see fit. That's what we have. The only way to get more is to see if someone else you know doesn't use all of their tickets. It's a shame they are so darned specific. I'd bring it up.

I understand the need to limit the number of family members attending ceremonies. The school does this for graduation, and allots 6 tickets per family.  Baccalaureate is separate, it's a different ceremony that gives each graduate an opportunity to thank teachers, family and friends.  It would have been really difficult for me to sit through this ceremony alone.

Wouldn't it be easy for the school to also allot tickets for the baccalaureate ceremony, rather than getting into specifics?  I've emailed the school about this, I know I'm being nitpicky but I'm so annoyed.  I saw several solo parents sitting in the auditorium, I guess they followed the rules.

I'm a shitdisturber....I just disregard stupid rules...from my vantage point, no need to get annoyed they can't conceivably think of every situation. I'm sure they meant no harm. I just do what I need to do....end of story.