Taking a small amount of ashes on a plane

Leadfeather

I took a small amount of my LH's ashes with me to the Virgin Islands. I put them in a clear baggie and labeled them "cremated remains" and nobody seemed to care. I had the TSI agents view them on x-ray in my carry on and they said nothing. Also watched as customs agents in BVI pull them out of my bag and put them back in. I don't think that ashes are so unusual as to cause a stir.

I took me husbands ashes to Australia to spread. (Actually his best working dogs ashes were in there with him.)  I had a letter, from the funeral home saying what they were but I was never asked for it.  I can’t even remember if they even asked what they were.

I put them in my carry on, good thing as my other luggage was lost for 3 days.....

I have taken a small urn with me on every trip I have taken over the last few years, in a carry on bag. Never been asked about it. I do have the paper somewhere but never think to bring it until I am already standing in the security line!

Flown a few places with them ( to spread in different locations) and have never been questioned. The only thing I would advice is find a box or a bag for them, not a tin. I'm not sure who gave me that advice but i guess it was for during x-rays/ metal detectors it wouldn't set off a red flag.

• 2 weeks later...

Echoing most of the above.  I've flown with ashes to the Caribbean and Europe.  I have them in a ziplock bag inside a cloth box from Pier One.  I did have our rings and a letter from the mortuary tucked in there as well but have had no questions asked about them. They were always in my carry on bag with me.