The Bonus Round

Mac

My children were here today along with their significant others. My daughter got married nearly two years ago, my son is getting married next year. Life is going well for us as a family. In so many ways I feel as if I have achieved all of my greatest goals in life. Cindy and I were blessed with 37 years of friendship, 28 years of marriage and so many amazing adventures along the way. So in so many ways I feel as if all the rest is "gravy" at this point. 

• Like 5

I understand what you are saying.  I have a teen to get independent, so I have a ways to go. I have taken the idea of that if you get to live past 70, then it is all gravy, because a majority do not.  So, I am not so distraught of hearing someone died at 80 something or even 75 or up.  Probably come across a bit uncaring, but I am just so aware of death too soon, including friends that have lost small children, that 75 + is amazing to live to.   

• Like 2

I understand this too.  My kids are on their way to becoming independent, I had a good 20 year marriage and finally am feeling a bit more settled.  Life is becoming enjoyable again, and as you say, the rest is gravy.   On the topic of death, I'm attending a funeral this week for an uncle who passed away at the ripe old age of 91.  He lived a good life and was active until about a year ago. This funeral to me will be a celebration of my uncle's full and happy life, with just a tingle of sadness..  I'm accepting of death for those that haven't had their life cut short, and hope that I don't come across as uncaring.  Because to me this is how the cycle of life should be and sometimes not how it actually happens.

• Like 4