feeling secure

donswife

Hi

Just wanted to know what people have done to secure their houses after their husband passed

I have just recently felt a bit insecure , mostly because I heard a loud noise downstairs the other night

Don't worry just the cat knocking something over.....but then the feeling came over me I don't have my big strong husband beside me to send down to find out what that noise was and that awful realization came over me

So wasn't sure if any good tips out there .

I do have a dog but she's a black lab and wouldn't hurt a flea

I've taken some simple measures.

I sleep with my car keys on my nightstand. I can use them to set off my car alarm if needed.

I have pepper spray handy and a baseball bat by the bed.

I have to admit that I used to really hate being in the house without DH. I've gotten used to it and rarely feel too scared.

Guest Questions

I swear by motion sensor lights.

I've had them at my last two residences & they go a long way towards making me feel secure.

Anyone coming up the house at night automatically gets bathed in bright spotlights.

I think it's enough to deter would-be tresspassers/burglars. When those bright lights come on it's like walking out onto a stage & everyone around can see you.

Also, when the lights trip on they alert me that someone or something is on my property.

Sometime's it's only an animal but is worth the added sense of security it brings.

Also, I keep my gates locked. My front yard isn't fenced but the back yard is & I don't give anyone easy access to it. If someone wants to come in without my consent they have to scale a 6. ft fence.

Another thing I do is keep poles (old mop or broom handles cut to size) in my sliding glass door tracks & metal stop-lock screws in all my window tracks so even if someone get's past the door/window lock mechanisms they still won't be able to slide the door/window open enough to get in. I think seeing these in place may help deter would-be burglers too.

Another thing (kind of silly but maybe it helps)

This house used to have an alarm system. It doesn't anymore nor has it since I've lived here but when originally installed the company placed stickers with their logo on all 3 sliders that say "Protection One 24 alarm system"

I left the stickers on the windows because even though I know there's really no alarm system in place a potential burglar doesn't.

DH was a gun collector & after he died I sold most of his collection but kept a couple 9mm pistols for myself just for protection, one of which I keep loaded, hidden in my bedroom. I hope never to have to need it but knowing I have it makes me feel more secure.

I'm not afraid to confront someone breaking into my home if I have a gun in my hand & I'm pretty sure the sight would make them think twice about their plans & vamoose.

I also take a gun with me whenever I go solo camping.

btw: I've never had a need to brandish a gun or weapon (I also have knives & stun-guns) in 6 yrs of living in houses alone & my last neighborhood was high crime. I moved),

nor during any of the 10+ solo-camping trips I've taken.

The gun is for peace of mind & I hope that's all the action (none) that it ever sees.

(((hugs)))

Guest look2thesky

There are many CCV cameras infa red which can scan the entire perimeter of your property.

Also Beware of Pit Bull signs work wonders !

I live in the best neighborhood in a town that is slowly becoming East Saint Louis so I have the storm doors and the dead bolt solid steel doors locked and closed, in my bedroom I have my .357 beside me in bed and have the dresser pushed against the door, been doing this since DH was in the hospital or nursing home back in 2011.

thanks so much for all the advise. I will definitely put alarm stickers around

and so funny I also have a baseball bat by my bed

I love the idea hikermom had about car keys with car alarm at the ready.

All such great responses and thanks for the pm suggestions also

will also say just knowing you all have the same thoughts and concerns is such a comfort

Guest sphoc

I have pepper spray handy and a baseball bat by the bed.

Ditto this. The house I just bought has a security alarm system, so I made sure to activate it. I also have a dog. She's not very threatening, but she does have a loud bark and that'll discourage would-be troublemakers. There are outside lights, but once I get settled in, I plan to swap them out for motion detecting lights.

After he first died if I got scared at the thought of being in the house alone at night I reminded myself that:

1) He slept like a log and someone breaking in would never wake him.

and

2)  He worked many 24 and 48 hour shifts.

So I was used to not having him for protection!

OK seriously....I second the idea of motion lights, although deer setting them off sent me into a tailspin once.  Make sure if you have glass doors/sidelights that you have keyed deadbolts on the inside of the house not just the twist deadbolt so someone can't smash glass and twist it open.  Make friends with elderly neighbors...this has never failed me...I pay the price of them watching my goings on a bit but I'll tell you there is nothing like it when you have a bored gal next door to sound the alarms if she sees anything unusual!  I second Questions on the pole in the sliding door trick (or they make locks for the bottom as well)  I know how easy it is to "break in" to a sliding glass door!

And one my brother taught me, but may not work at all houses, if someone knocks on the front door answer at the side door by sticking your head out and yelling can I help you?, works the same way if they knock at side door, answer at front and peek around and ask what they need.  Gives you a chance to see whats up without opening the door directly to them.(or just don't answer the door at all!).  And never let anyone know it is just you.  When I first moved in the house was still in fix up status and salesmen would stop and ask about windows/roof etc...my answer always was "My husband is a contractor and does all of it for us."