Wish me luck! Week long 6th grade field trip

Sugarbell

Outdoor education.

I am a chaperone in a cabin with 12 6th grade girls. It's a novelty for the kids in our area...to "rough it"

We are going to some pretty cool places in the mountains...one place is where DH and I went on our 2nd date (weekend camping trip) another place is where we got married (town my oldest is named after)...Seneca Caverns-where we used to hike, Seneca rocks, etc. I  am teaching canoe down the Potomac River (Where DH and I canoed with our dog and I was 6 months pregnant with my oldest).

Most kids have never been to these places except expensive ski resort close by. DH and I spent 2 years of our courtship in the mts. 4 hours from the "valley" where we lived. Who would've thought that our now 6th grader would be taking a week long field trip to these desolate places...off the grid.

I am going up have two "mean girls" divas too that week chaperoning. I swear I think I may run around the campground with sage and incense to get there begative energy outta my sacred places.

Little overwhelmed going for the week.....also a little emotional. These are beautiful places where I go with my kids to nurture my soul-Not sure I am ready up have Stepfordites contaminate it (oh yeah I am selfish!!!)

May sneak a tiny Baggie of ashes to spread while I am there.

Little overwhelmed going for the week.....also a little emotional. These are beautiful places where I go with my kids to nurture my soul-Not sure I am ready up have Stepfordites contaminate it (oh yeah I am selfish!!!)

(((Sugarbell)))

I do hope that outsiders won't spoil your "sacred place". And NO, you aren't selfish about this at all! It's a natural reaction wanting to protect places that have special meaning to us, an inner oasis where we find peace and nurture our soul, as you say. We want to claim it as "ours" and preserve the space where we can withdraw from the world and leave our worries behind. I once had a place like that and lost it, and I so miss it! Therefore I can understand how you feel.

tumblr_mnqgczb9re1rogcszo1_400.jpg

May the "Sage Goddess" be with you!

Sending lots of positive energy your way and hoping that you'll have a good time despite the "intruders". May the incense and sage work their magic! If not, give those "Stepfordites" a quick shove down a ravine. ;D

ATJ 

emoticon-0152-heart.png

Thank you.... :)

I have a small stick of white sage packed...And 2 very tiny bags of ashes...just to quietly leave a little bit of him when we hike to these places. It's odd...here in "Stepford" I don't have many sentimental memories of him. We traveled during the week for work even-and the kids were too tiny to be involved yet in activities/school in Stepford.

The one place where we are taking the kids "Dolly Sods" is totally off the grid. Only hard core hikers/campers go here. They are going because the climate/vegetation is much like the tundra. One our second date-we camped here all weekend-in September and it snowed and was 20 degrees.

We would stay at the off the wall-one story outside entrance old "motels" in this area too. Trust me-people don't travel to the areas we did from the valley. It's special/sacred to me too-it's where my parents and ancestors on both sides of my family were from...Too many generations to count. My folks were the first to leave.

I joke that's where I would love to live. My kids think I am crazy-but I swear those mountains are in my soul.

Thanks for listening-I just needed to get it out tonight.

You will be happier, or at least a little less unhappy, if you you try to get along with the other moms.  True, they might not live up to your standards, and true, they might not be the pro in the woods that you are, but at the end of they day, they are parents who care enough about their kids to volunteer for outdoor school and want their kids to have a wonderful experience. 

Do your sage, do your meditation, do your ashes,  just try to relax and have a good week.  Don't be so judge-y!  Have fun!  Enjoy your son and the woods and the education.  You might surprise yourself.

You will be happier, or at least a little less unhappy, if you you try to get along with the other moms.  True, they might not live up to your standards, and true, they might not be the pro in the woods that you are, but at the end of they day, they are parents who care enough about their kids to volunteer for outdoor school and want their kids to have a wonderful experience. 

Do your sage, do your meditation, do your ashes,  just try to relax and have a good week.  Don't be so judge-y!  Have fun!  Enjoy your son and the woods and the education.  You might surprise yourself.

Eh Geez......

Nice sarcastic jabs Amber.....

But then again---I am considering the source-it's not the first time (several jabs I have intentionally ignored or played off from you over the years)

Believe it or not.... iRL I do play nice.

Boo!!! Maybe you need saged.

Sounds like a great trip!  Although I have to say that many 6th grade girls might give me a headache, lol. I've got 3 boys and usually a few extras around the house so that's what I'm comfortable with.

Have fun!

Guest marian1953

I think it's great you brought some ashes along- Holy Shit, when you read that, weird, but you know what I mean. You are so kind doing this and I hope they all learn a little of your skills! Keep us posted- I love your stories.  ;D

marian

It was a FABULOUS week! 80 degree weather and no rain. I met several new friends-adult chaperones (2 former river guides and fun hogs) and some nice Moms. I got pretty tight with this team of 6th grade teachers-this camp has been going on for over 20 years and I was amazed the work they put into it.

The 2 Stepford wives...Well I polite and adult like when we worked together-but kept boundaries. They did not interact with any of the adult chaperones and by Wednesday you could see even the teachers were getting annoyed (Didn't look out for any other kids but there own...had there cabin in an uproar...girls drama/arguments-Kids feeding off that energy.

My cabin had pretty cool girls....it was great to really get to know ALL the kids in my sons class. By the end of the week I had m