A Sand Mandala

Joey

This week Tibetan monks were in town creating a sand mandala for healing. The artistic ritual ends with the sweeping of the sand into the center, removing the art. The sand is then cast into the sea, with gratitude and understanding of the impermanence of things.

I visited the monks and the work as it was in-process, and again when finished. They gave me a small envelope with sand from the mandala. I took it to the beach, and cast it into the waves of the outgoing tide.

Letting go has not been easy for me. I am grateful to have seen something of such beauty and meaning.

20150503_113855.jpg

Thanks for posting this.  I saw a sand mandala being made last summer, when I was still very early in my grief.  It's amazing how the monks create them.  I would've liked to see it being swept away.  Letting go, or finding that balance between holding on to memories and love and letting go of pain and personal attachment... it is so, so hard. 

Wow!  Intricate and beautiful, thank you for sharing with us.

And by the way, there's a Led Zeppelin quote on my husband's memorial bench:  "There's a feeling a get when I look to the west".

Carry on, Joey, and peace to you.

Guest Kamcho

LH took me to a museum once to watch the disassembly of a mandala. It was beautiful. I remember being frustrated because i couldn't see, there were so many people, so I snuggled into LH and listened to there chanting. Thank you for renewing that beautiful memory.

I made a mandala for his memorial. When I was taking it apart, a dragonfly came out of nowhere and hovered in front of my face. I hope it was LH saying goodbye and hello.

Joey,

It's interesting that you mention sand mandala. Shortly after YWBB ceased operations, I used such a metaphor to describe its existence and sudden disappearance. It was as if an intricate sand painting, whose construction was contributed to by thousands of widows and widowers over 13 years, had suddenly been swept away. Of course there was sadness at its passing, but also gratitude that I was able to be a small part of its creation.

--- WifeLess

• 2 weeks later...