I guess I'm a bad person ... but it felt good!

linda5

My husband's birthday was a few days ago and his f/b account is still active.  I post things to him and our daughters do too.  He was also an author in his spare time and consequently had many "virtual" f/b friends that really didn't know him and never go to his page to see what he's doing. 

So, on May 6th, he got a few Happy Birthday wishes from strangers.  I let them all go for the last 2 years.  This time, they bothered me.  One stated, "Hey Will, have a big bang up blast on your birthday."  Or another one said, "My fictional dog, Harvey, wants to send you a Howling Good Birthday Wish."  So I started going through them and hit reply and said, "I'm sure my husband is having a great birthday, in Heaven." 

I know I should memorialize his page, but I like writing on it with what's happening in our family.  I don't think I was rude, just wanted them to know.  However, my daughters thought my reply was rude.  What do you think?

Guest TooSoon

No, not a bad person at all. 

Your post prompted me to look at my husband's page.  Top post is from my SIL (about whom I ranted in the General section earlier today).  It is a cell phone shot of my daughter's Christmas photo and the tagline says, "My heart, my (insert my daughter's name).  I so want to write, "No, actually, that would be OUR (insert name)."  But I'm totally hormonal and have learned my lesson about PMS posting.....

It's your husband and your turf.  Hugs.

Honestly don't see anything wrong, it conveys information they didn't know. Someday I'll have to do something about DW's Facebook but it's a handy way to see what's going on with her relatives that she shared with me all these years. I do respond to friend requests to let them know she died and use the message feature once in a blue moon but no chat or anything to indicate activity.

Guest look2thesky

They probably had no idea he has passed.

FB is very much a social ego thing.

Shortly after DH died I stopped all posting to his 'wall'. It's still there but not open to anyone posting to it. This past Easter Sunday I was getting ready to go for Easter lunch and His very old friend John knocked to the door. Hadn't seen him in 4 yrs beacause he lives hrs away and when he come 'home' he always stops in. It was so sad and aweful I had to break the news to him about my DH and BIL ( died within 2.5 months)

I will be taking down his profile in the next few weeks. Needs to be done and the kids agree so it will happen

These days to me it's  Fakebook ( don't mean to offend) it is what it is.

Guest Kamcho

I vote a-okay. You go, girl. Sounds like a response your LH would approve of.

I call it "fakebook" too, BH. LH and I were both anti. I don't miss it. To each his/her own, it was unhealthy to me so I support people keeping it real on it, and those eschewing it.

Linda5,

How would they know he's dead unless you tell them? I'm not a big FB user but maybe a post saying he passed away and you keep the site for the uses you described. You could invite those who actually knew him to write about their memories of him.

I think it's great that you write to him there. You know he's reading your posts. If only he could reply ...

Mike