For the special needs mom (or dad) who is DONE

rooshy

This article sure brought back a flood of memories. My autistic son is now 27 but I can still see the 3 year old and 8 year old and teenager that he was.  It was exhausting -the fighting for every little thing.  In his 27 years he has come such a long way-way beyond anything I would have dreamed of back then.  He has taught me more about life and love and family than anything could.

Thank you for sharing.  Sometimes when life is hard it is good to remember how far we have come

Pat

Thanks for posting the link Rooshy. My son was a headbanger, thrower of all electronics, runner, yeller, and a bunch of other things. It's always good to know we are not alone. I am tired of fighting for everything too and my son is only 8! You are right Pat, my son taught me so much. He has made me face challenges head on and grow. I know I am a better mom because of him. Look what I started to help him and other youth affected by autism and developmental disabilities. www.itsmyplace4.me.

I have become an expert at picking myself up, dusting myself off and moving on. LOL!!

Eileen

I'm glad that you both liked the blog!  I have to read this too when I get frustrated and think that I can't do this single parenting thing anymore.  On Memorial Day I took my two sons to my in-laws farm - they have horses and want to be equine therapy providers.  We were thinking that since Jack likes animals that this would go smoothly.  Anything but.  Jack started to scream and meltdown, trying to attack me in front of my in-laws.  Very embarrassing and stressful.  But after twenty minutes he finally calmed down. 

Hi Rooshy,

Did he get on or close to a horse after he finished his meltdown? Oh boy my son used to have some big meltdowns!!! They diminished greatly after he could express himself. Hang in there!!!

Eileen

Eddienhp,

He only had to see the horse to to start the meltdown, then started to scream and coming after me, all of this in front of the in-laws.  He' s got a great speech therapist and is learning to use his ProLoQuo app on his iPad to express himself.  Tomorrow he will start an 8 week summer camp at a school for kids with autism. I work at the school so I won't be that far from him.  The instructors will help him with socialization and communication skills.  We have a big 45 acre campus so hopefully he can lose some weight too!