How Flirting Works - In Case You Were Wondering

Mac

Thanks for posting this. I am a bit of a block head when it comes to flirting. A woman was flirting with me via text a couple months ago, and a friend of mine (who is a girl) who I showed it to for different reasons said, "wow, she was flirting with you". I was completely surprised (and not interested).

It was pretty clear when my wife just walked up to me in the college cafeteria and asked me to have breakfast with her, lol

I finally clicked on the article to read this.  It was an interesting read. Ladies, do you find that husbands avoid you like the plague?  DH and I were very social people with a wide circle of friends and the conversation was never just the wives or just the husbands. I went to a dinner dance for the first time since Bruno died a few weeks ago. Dressed up, heels, yada yada.  The women were so excited to see me and catch up. The men stood away and avoided eye contact. I was stumped. I know these men!  I joked and laughed with them for years. All of a sudden I am to be avoided?  I'm not going to bite!  (Well, I wouldn't bite a married man, at least 😉)

mango  Must agree that at times I feel non-existent around some of my long-time married guy friends.  But I'm also consciously staying away from married guy friends too - don't want to give off the idea that I might be interested in any of them.  I'm not! 

One of the strangest things for me to deal with right now is how to present myself in social situations - how do I act?  Am I single, available, or interested?  I don't know how to flirt, so I try to avoid men altogether! 

I wasn't that great at this stuff prior to marriage. Not that confident when it came to women. Not that great at reading the signs either. A couple of women that I knew in college later said to me: "You really didn't know that I was interested in you?" I guess that even Cindy was interested in me as more than a friend way before I even realized it. Not so many years ago she said to me: "I kind of wish that you would have gotten things started sooner."

Things are so different now. Confidence is on overdrive. I'm proud of and grateful for the life that I have led. Cindy and I had an incredibly blessed life together. I have experienced so much in my life. So talking to women in social settings is fun and easy. Flirting is fun too. I somewhat doubt that I am any better at reading the signs though.

I have to admit, I am a natural-born flirt.  Like Mac, I have some confidence in that area.  Being short, petite, and Southern born and raised certainly makes flirting easier for me, than it might be for some people.  Having mostly guy friends throughout my entire formative years also helps.  As a general rule, I think I am able to read the signs and know when a man is interested in me, and to pick up on when he is flirting.  My problem is that, often times, people think I am flirting, when I am not.  I'm not going to lie, that has gotten me into hot water, a time or two.

Guest nonesuch

The article was interesting, even if it sounded as if the characters on Big Bang Theory wrote it.

I don't flirt.  I banter. 

Guest look2thesky

I think much has changed since I was single. The new thing seems to be Facebook likes.

I am so tempted to delete it, because I got along fine without it for many years.

What ever happened to picking up the phone and saying hi ?