The joys just keep coming. I have made a workers comp claim against the employers who killed my partner with the plan to give a large amount to his parents and with me convincing myself that perhaps this was his 'destiny' and that he died this way because he wanted to provide for us in the future (ok yes perhaps not true but we all thought if he was ever going to die young it would be on his motorbike, but it wasn't, so this theorising made me feel a bit better about it all). Now there's questions about whether our 'de facto' relationship was long enough. Defacto is a step above just dating I guess. You have to be in a relationship where you are living together and are financially and emotionally supporting each other, and seen socially as an ongoing relationship. Well CP and I WERE living together 2 years prior to the accident, however I was at his parents and we had to spend a large amount apart due to our visa and financial situation. So they are saying that this might not count.. His parents are not dependents either so they also would not be eligible for anything. Meaning the company who killed my partner and cut short our relationship, my partner who on a legal document months prior had written that we would be together forever for our visa application (because that was the truth), may not have to pay out anything because of a technicality that we weren't 'official' long enough. Oh the irony. Writing my new statutory declaration speaking about my time with his family has made me feel better though because I can see just how much we did contribute financially and emotionally to each other, and how we made it very clear socially what our future intentions were. It just triggered some crazy screaming/ugly crying in the shower at how unjust this whole situation is. Yes, our relationship was tough. It was a battle because of the situation we were in but we fought for it because we wanted it so bad. Then this company took him away. God I miss him. I would give quadruple what I may receive to have him back. 

[Hug] It's hard to imagine how some people can sleep at night. Pencil pushers whose sole purpose is to screw survivors out of their settlements or benefits must have hearts of stone. Let's hope the industry wakes up to install backup cameras and implement other safety measures to prevent another family this pain and loss.

Thanks swilson I really appreciate your support... I have the local politician on board so am really hoping something will come from it, but obviously it will be a several year process. Just hoping this most recent bump in the road can be sorted out!!

It really sucks that people are just sitting behind a computer and deciding our fate, screwing us around with benefits that are owed to us. I'm still fighting with workers comp about my husbands death at work. I have a 2nd hearing next week. It just all really sucks that we have to go through this. Yes, money won't change that fact that they are gone, but it will ease our financial burden. I have the same feeling that I would forgo any money that I may receive just to have him back. Thinking of you.