"Surviving an Alcoholic" in the NY Times

Guaruj

I read a New York Times blog entry today called Surviving an Alcoholic.  It reminded me that we all have differing experiences in losing a spouse.  I didn't want to put this thread in a "special circumstances" section because it discusses many other issues that come up here: Caring for a spouse in declining health, nasty surprises after the funeral and eventually finding someone new.

It was well worth the 10 minutes I spent reading it.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/05/27/surviving-an-alcoholic/

|+|  M a r k  |+|

Guest look2thesky

Good for her that she was able to recognize it was her husband problem,

and better for picking up and living again.

Thanks for sharing this article Guaruja,

As I was reading it, I had the strange feeling that somehow, the author knew MY story. I quickly checked the author's name in case it was someone I knew. It isn't, but sadly, her story is one that is repeated over and over when alcoholism is involved.

It brought me back to the loss of my DH to alcoholism and then his death in our basement 6 years later. It's true, alcoholism did not claim my life, and I'm living it well, but I still carry some of the baggage.

Take care, Bluebird.

Guest nonesuch

Alcohol didn't cause my husband's death directly.  I suspect he'd have cared more about his health if he hadn't been so concerned about getting drunk each day. 

I miss the man I married, but he started disappearing long before my husband died.

When I began dating, "no smoking, no alkies" were my deal breakers.  Being alone can be difficult.  Being morally and legally bound to someone who isn't a real partner for you is very lonely indeed.  I'd rather be single.

Current Beau doesn't smoke, and owing to his epilepsy meds, has an occasional beer or glass of wine.  it is a very different experience to come home and have someone I can talk to.