Beau Biden passed away from brain cancer

ieh21

Joe Biden just lost his adult son, Beau. I am crying about a stranger's son, a stranger's death. i'm not even American. But man, Joe Biden is my hero. His courage, his honesty about his grief for his late wife and child. And now losing another child, that's more than I can imagine surviving and when I see how amazing he remained, it's inspiring.

This is so very sad.  The poor man has been through so much loss.  I've always really liked Joe Biden and appreciated how no-nonsense and honest he is when it comes to just about anything.  I think he's an inspiration when in comes to both rising above heartache and tragedy, and in keeping and acknowledging one's humanity, even as they climb to one of the most powerful position in American politics.

Right after Tim died (and I do mean right after - like within the first day or two) I dug this video up and would watch it over and over again.  I remember watching it with Tim when it was first on TV, and how impressed his was with the frankness and amount of caring the vice-president showed to the families he was speaking to.  And then feeling like I needed to hear those words again - from another car accident widow no less - in the aftermath of my own loss.

I wanted to share it again, both as a tribute to the Biden family, and in hopes that someone else here will find some comfort in it as well.  The speech itself starts at the 1:30 mark, I think I've queued the link up in the right place.

https://youtu.be/fLSjrS0bb08?t=1m29s

I sincerely hope the vice-president and his family are finding their own love and comfort and leaning on each other for support this sad morning.  This is such terrible news.

I am also terribly saddened by this news. I have long been a fan of Joe Biden. I have always been so touched by how freely he talks about his love for his family and how they never seem to miss a moment to show their love and care for each other. It is hard to imagine enduring all the loss he has been through.

MrsTim, I remember after my T died hearing Joe Biden's words that someday thinking of T would bring a smile to my lips before it brought a tear to my eye. I held onto that hope and felt discouraged for a long time, because it didn't happen for me. But he was right. While I'm still really grieving losing T, when I think of him now, a smile does precede the tears. That is a blessing and how it should be.

My heart aches for the Vice President and his family. This new loss is almost unimaginable. His compassion for those left behind is enormous. Like MrsTim85, I often viewed the video of him speaking to the Gold Star families. MrsTim85, thank you for posting the link.

This is another link to the Vice President's talk with the families that day. His remarks are uncut. He begins at 8:30 and runs to about 28:00. He speaks of his anger, triggers and guilt at finding someone else attractive.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?306246-1/survivors-fallen-military-members.

Guest TooSoon

Since 2013, I've been following this.  Every now and then there was a headline buried somewhere online.  Fucking brain cancer.  Actually, I think I'm going to send Joe and Jill a card.  Maybe I'll send one to Beau's wife and kids, too. 

• 4 months later...

The Vice President and Mrs. Biden were interviewed on 60 Minutes this evening.  They spoke of the decision not to seek the Presidency. The Vice President wears the mask well but his sorrow is visible. Defeating cancer is a goal he thinks we should pursue. He refers to this as a moonshot to end cancer. He is channeling JFK when deciding we should go to the moon. I hope there is progress on that goal and Joe Biden's voice is heard after he leaves office.

The links I found have two ads before the interview so I'm not posting them. If you would like to see the interview search 60 Minutes or Joe Biden. The Vice President speaks of the grieving process and that there is no schedule. I have much respect for him.

Guest TooSoon

My husband died from the same thing as Beau.  Glioblastoma Multiforme IV.  It is a journey no one should have to know.  Truly gruesome. I'm so happy Joe and Jill decided to turn to other pursuits.  They deserve time to heal.