Moving: How did you decide

rememberingjason

So, I have lived in the same house for 30 years and I have been very blessed to have this home as a child, teen, young adult, married, and now widowed. This house holds many memories needless to say....

I, however, am ready for a change and some adventure in life. I have a very solid teaching career here in TN, but, I think I could find a teaching position in another place as well.

I am considering Colorado, North Carolina, South Carolina....I haven't been out west as much as I would like...

So...I guess I am scared to take this step out of the unfamiliar. I want to know more about the life style in these states. I have visited them all and loved them as a visitor.

Any Advice:

1. About the different states?

2. How did you decided to make the big step if you have done so?

Thanks!

Well, I didn't change states but I moved 20 miles away today in the same town, I'm going to make some big career changes.  I say, if you want to move, got for it!  Life is too short.  I have lived my whole life planning and being careful but now I want change even with the risk it's been so incredibly stressful but I'm glad I did it. 

Depends on what you are looking for!

I will say they are in dire need of teachers in the northern mountainous areas of WV (not where I live-3 hrs away where I like to camp)...

If you like outdoor activities-skiing, hiking, kayak, white water rafting. Also a lot of fellow outdoorsy people from MAryland, VA and DC are in the area.

Teacher pay nationally is actually right in the middle...maybe a little above average (which is shocking)... anywhere in WV-teacher pay is within 1500 from worst to best county. (it shocks me how much more Teacher's make here compared to areas in Ohio, Va and NC ( Doesn't NC have one of the worst pay scales?)

Your money goes further here too. Very low cost of living for both renting and home ownership. A nice 25 year old 3000 sq ft home on 1/2 acre will only cost from 130000-140000 here. Nice rentals anywhere from 450-700 (that's for a 2 bedroom 2 bath townhouse).

Thanks love hearing everyone's input.

I have been looking into Colorado...it feels like a huge change but I know it is a beautiful place to live.

Yes, North Carolina is worst pay and a hard school system politically to deal with.

West Virginia - I have some friends in that area...I will message them and get some ideas. They are close to Bluefield.

I really want to experience some new things and get unstuck....

A.

Guest Bear1956

We went on a Florida vacation in 2009 and never left. Rent is like one third of what it is in north Jersey.

I have this crazy desire to move to Colorado. I have no idea why. No family there, no friends, no anything other than how beautiful it is and how many outdoors things there are to do. My late husband and I met doing outdoor activities and I miss them so much.

I am terrified to move away from everything I have known for 30 years just to go somewhere that sounds exciting, yet at the same time it is almost just on my heart. I am not going to stop trying to figure it all out.

Thanks for words of advice.

Good for you for thinking about moving and taking a leap of faith.  I love Colorado too but need to be near the beach (my happy place) so have opted to relocate within the state of North Carolina.  I know the teacher salaries arent competitive here but I wouldnt live anywhere else.  I did an enormous amount of research before we relocated 18 years ago when I was working in higher education administration and have never regretted it.  We have beautiful mountains and beaches within a few hours drive.  My only challenge has been dealing with how competitive the housing market is in the Raleigh area.  But best wishes to you on whatever you decide!  As others have said, life is short so go for it!

DansSoulmate-

I love, love, love North Carolina. I have loved it since I was a young child. The mountains are my favorite. The education system there is what has kept me from pursuing it.

I have taught for 15 years in TN and I am well establish in my school and community and that is a scary move in and of itself.

Thanks for the encouragement to go for it...I am definitely researching my options.

Let me know if I can answer any questions you might have about North Carolina.  I worked for UNC-G for several years and had the pleasure of travelling around the state as a development officer.  My children received a wonderful education in Greensboro due to the wide variety of magnet and early college options.  And the Apex area schools, where I'm headed, are absolutely fabulous.  Asheville and Boone are great towns as well.  Good luck!

I think it's wonderful that you are looking into some changes and are so very brave to move many states away.  A couple of things to consider - the climates, and how often you might need connection to family and friends.  I do think, however, that one can make new friends and find possibility in just about anything.  I grew up military and have lived in a number of areas in the U.S. 

I live in the Pacific Northwest and I love the mountains and water.  I lived in Portland for many years and am now outside of Seattle - which is overpriced and the traffic is horrendous.  Oregon is beautiful as well.  On the east of the Cascades, you will find dryer climates because you are in high dessert.  The Western side might be too cloudy for newcomers.  I will typically take a trip to somewhere sunny around February or March even if it calls for me going over the pass to the Eastern side of Washington or Oregon. 

Eugene, Oregon and Southern Oregon have smaller communities that I think I would love to live in. 

Take your time - do your research and enjoy the process.