Back to school after loss

Lisa

That has some great practical tips as many will be sending their kids back to school soon. I did many of those things with my high school age son. They need it as much as younger kids. School seemed to be a relief for him, a predictable, continuous flow that I think was a break from grief for him. Surprisingly or maybe not his friends were supportive while the adults kind of had the look of wanting to run away when I told them.

Thanks for sharing. It was hard deciding when to send my daughters back to school. I felt sticking to their routine would be helpful, and it was. My youngest daughter was in first grade when my husband died. I just recently found all of the little notes her classmates wrote to her while she was home. Heartbreaking, but sweet. One that stuck out was, "I'm sorry your dad died. Your mom can find you a new daddy." Kids speak their minds. :) Her teacher was amazing and very supportive! My daughter loves to read, so she made my daughter a little 'safe place' under her desk if she ever felt the need to be alone. Thankfully she didn't use that space to often. She wanted to participate in class. My two older daughters were in 6th and 9th. They wanted to go to school and pretend like nothing had changed. They didn't want people to know about their dad because they didn't want to be treated differently.