1st court case finally over!

A little background, my late husband had an accident at work that killed him almost 10 months ago and I have been fighting with worker's comp ever since. There was a discrepancy with the toxicology report, so the insurance company initially  denied the claim. After a couple court dates of rescheduling, they agreed to settle. I have been waiting for this time to come for months, thinking I would have some relief. Sitting there in the court room, my lawyer was tearing up when we found out they agreed to settle. He looked at me, I guess expecting some kind of reaction from me. I just sat there dumbfounded, unable to speak. I felt no relief, just emptiness still. I feel slightly less stressed financially, but emotional unchanged. Nothing can change the reality that he is gone and never coming back. I don't know what I was thinking these past couple months, that once the worker's comp court stuff was over, that everything would magically be better. It's not. Next, I have to deal with a possible wrongful death suit. I relive those first couple days in my head, everyday. Now they might have to be verbalized with strangers. It's a very odd situation to be in. My feelings have been all over the place lately. Has anyone had to deal with legal proceedings surrounding their loved ones? How did you cope?

Hi, I'm currently in the same boat as you. My partner was also killed in a workplace accident, 11 months ago, however court cases are still ongoing.... Our situation complicates things and my claim may also be rejected by the insurance company however my lawyer is still forging ahead. He seems lovely, and I think emotionally invested as well.. On top of that investigations are still going into his cause of death (if the workplace was illegal) which may turn into a criminal case against the company. So while you are a step ahead of me, I can relate. In some sense I don't even care if I win the money or not. My partner is gone, and nothing is going to make that better. But on the other hand, I find it hard to comprehend that something like this can occur, and then nothing happen from it.. Which is the main reason I keep going with it. They must be held accountable.

Sorry it did not provide relief... I don't think anything really does. We just have to keep going on this journey we are on.. Good luck :)

• 4 weeks later...

I am over 2 years out. I now have had a successful workers comp case and wrongful death case. Thelegal proceedings took incredible amounts of my time and energy. I feel no better that they are over. But I do feel proud that I was strong enough to go through with it so that I can tell my kids that I did everything I could to do my best for them. The hell of the legal proceedings was so small compared to the hell I live every day without my love. Drop in the bucket.