Teacher Trouble

twistedmensa

My 11 year old son started a new school this year. As if that weren't stressful enough, one of his teachers embarrassed him in front of the entire class. He has a nervous twitch, made worse when he is stressed. The last year has been exceedingly stressful for all of us and his twitch, though not as bad as it was a year ago, is still fairly pronounced and frequent.

This woman, a teacher of 10 years, called him out in the middle of class and told him to stop twitching because it was distracting to her. He was embarrassed and had to force himself not to cry, but he cried tonight when I put him to bed and he doesn't want to go back to her class tomorrow.

Guess I'll be making a trip to school tomorrow and raising holy hell.

Though I'm sure the desire to 'raise holy hell' is great, try to conduct yourself calmly yet firmly, and also go through the proper channels, whatever they may be.  It certainly sounds like the teacher has some explaining to do.

If you don't get satisfaction from the teacher, suggest including the principal in the meeting.  In this day and age you can't tell me that teachers should not be more sensitive to things like this.  Actually if she'd been a teacher for 30 years it would have made more sense for her to be so insensitive.  I just don't get it, but totally unprofessional.  The damage is done and I can't imagine how she could fix it but I would still request that meeting.  If for nothing but to make sure it never happens again.

Keep your cool stick with the facts.

I always got the best results sending an email copy the principal, vp, other teachers in the grade.

Always leave a paper trail. Schools /board of education hates paper trails. Do not talk to her without a witness (teacher/principal present)...She will brush you off as an overeactive crazy parent.

This teacher was totally out of line. I bet a paper trail will lead to her being written up.

Thanks for all of the thoughtful replies. I have intentionally waited until I am calm so that I can speak rationally and without throwing insults. I'm a lifetime member of the PTSD club, so rage is a way of life for me and I know I would probably make things worse if I would have dealt with it as soon as I heard.  >:(

I'm headed to his school now to speak with his counselor and start the ball rolling from there. I'm feeling much more positive today than I was yesterday.

I will be chanting the words DH always told me when I had to deal with a bad situation: approach determines response.

That's terrible! They preach to the students not to bully and then a teacher bullies one of the students. Great role model.  I'm glad you're starting with his counselor. I was going to say that I wouldn't start with the teacher. Good luck!

That's just awful!  I'd be at the school too, but I'd go calmly and get the teachers side of the story.  I had to remove my son in 5th grade from a teacher that constantly bullied him, told him that he was using the death of his Dad as an excuse to be sensitive.  Yea, I was down to the school in a heartbeat and did not leave until they put him with a different 5th grade teacher.

how did it go? I hope well.  I was thinking about you this morning, I find myself needing to have a show down at the high school myself today for my youngest who is 16 and I am gonna start chanting soon too lol

Apparently, they don't have a school counselor. So I left word with the principal (she was in with a student when I went to the school) via the front office secretary. Trust me, if you want something done, get on the good side of the office staff...they will hook you up.

Long story short, principal talked with offending teacher and she called me yesterday afternoon. I don't think she will be an issue again and may, in fact, be a valuable ally. Turns out her father was killed in a car accident when she was a teen. Apparently what transpired was that he was sitting with a group of boys that have a problem with talking and being disruptive and she had already corrected them for talking just a few minutes before. She saw my son's head nodding and and assumed he was talking...that's when the incident occurred.

Another student told her later about his twitch and she was horrified by her actions. She apologized to him in front of the entire class. 

Hopefully, this won't come up again. And I know she could have said all of these things just to keep her job, but I like to think that people are genuine (even though my experience in life has taught me this is not always the case) and that she

really did believe he was talking even though he wasn't.

But just in case, I have written an email detailing the conversation and sent it to the teacher and the principal, so I do have a paper trail.

I have let my son know that if he has ANY issues with her again to let me know, even if it seems unimportant at the time.

I appreciate all of the comments and support.

Widow Strong, right?  Yee-haw.

It was more than likely a CYA situation on her part, but at least she apologized to him in front of his classmates. That's important. Now that she's aware of his twitching I'm sure she won't point it out again either. Good job mom! ;)