Women 50+ targeted by online dating scammers

Mac

Very good read for newbies to on line dating.

Especially those who haven't dated in many years.

I had many attempts at scams early on. I caught on quick but can easily see how it can happen. It's not about being stupid, it's about being a good and trusting person, and these scammers know how to manipulate that very well. 

It truly is very sad.

Guest sunshinedaydreamz

The sad part about this is almost every one of the women said I love him, without ever having met. The money sent is equivalent to the financial worth of some countries. Sad.

Boy, AARP is asking the websites to put all these safeguards in place, but I don't know.  It seems there are people out there just waiting to give their money away. I feel for the people who get taken but I have a hard time blaming anyone but them.

Haha, love this ^^

Thanks for making me smile :)

Seriously though this happens so often. These scammers know exactly what to say, what to do, and how to get these people to trust them.

From an outside perspective it's easy to say it's their own fault for sending the money, but I can understand how loneliness and a need to be loved can make you do things that you would normally never do. It's so sad that there are people in this world who are willing to do just about anything to swindle other people out of money.

I had no money but they didnt need my # but an ID and address they found.  I didnt provide it- to use other peoples credit cards. They tested them by sending all kinds of items they ordered to my address. It was so overwhelming and embarrassing. I had to involve the police, ups,  fed ex and the postal service  and refuse and suspend all deliveries. it isnt one person, its a whole team.

Guest nonesuch

I never realized how lucky I am...I have no money to send...lol.

Me, too.

I am seriously not getting this.  For one, I was not overwhelmed with offers. For another thing, what is so damned attractive about a man that can't run his own life, and needs to constantly be bailed out?

I ran into one man on a dating site that had mismanaged his life seriously.  He was living a friend whose landlord was peeved that his tenant had moved in another person and was pressuring her to get. him. out.  He had no job, and complained that he couldn't make money selling his art.  He wasn't ill-intended, actually.  He had an inflated opinion of his artwork, or the ability to earn a living that way. (One of my friends asked, "He's never heard of a starving artist?") he actually was looking for financial support and a place to live and a romantic partner all in one. I didn't feel drawn to help him. I felt like getting away before I was drawn into the vortex.

He claimed his trade was as an electrician.  When did electricians start to have trouble finding work?