Five years past your final birthday

RobFTC

Dear Michelle,

I think your 49th birthday was on a Sunday.  You were not very mobile, but we drove up to Estes Park to see the fall colours, and it was good.  We stopped at the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory at the location that always felt like the one "real" one.  After that birthday, stuff happened so fast.  Final chemo turned into "sorry" two weeks later, then your last breath November 7.

You would have been 54 today.  You've missed a few things, but you could have predicted a lot of our trajectory.  You expected us to be okay, and we are, though we all have some gaps and cracks - and me without any gold solder to make them precious.  Your daughters are tall, smart and funny, and if they are a little prone to impatience (twin A) and squirrel! (twin B), it's probably also nothing that would have surprised you.  They revealed stuff to me I wasn't sure I would know so early, but I think my reactions to those things worked and built up our relationships.  I revealed one of your closely-held secrets to them as well; they were as awesome as you could want.

I wish you were here to fete and fuss over.  I wish you knew some stuff about what's been going on.  Maybe you know some things - like the Spanish Peaks festival that has become my best thing, like the girls having Canadian citizenship now, like the girls experiences in two new schools.  I have seen such changes in them.  And I thought there was a lot of stuff I wanted to ask you before!

Love always,

Rob T