Breaks my heart sometimes

robunknown

I took this today. I had my back turned, when I turned back around my son was perched on top. I snapped a couple pics then leaned my head over his shoulder and asked, "what are you doing". His response was, "I'm just thinking about mom". My own grief sucks, it really sucks knowing he has to live with this too.

Oh, I am so sorry for your son and your loss.  He has a compassionate heart and yes, it really does suck that he has to live with having lost his mom.  Hugs to you both. 

ETA:  I also meant to add that he's also lucky to have a dad that takes his grief into consideration and takes him to visit his mom's grave. 

My oldest friends here (in this country) lost their mom to cancer when they were young.  They talk about her, remember her fondly, and mark the dates, many years later.  She is very much part of their lives still, when they are older and have families of their own.

Their Dad simply made a home in which Mom is still a presence.  Though he is remarried (to a widow), both spouses are frequently and easily talked about and loved.  They also still comfort each other when needed, and speak openly about missing their Mom.

Your little guy sounds exceptionally compassionate.  And you are allowing him to understand what has happened to his family, by crying and accepting his comfort and by bringing him to the place where he can sit and think about Mom.  Both of these things make me believe he will do the best he can with what has happened.  It doesn't make their suffering any easier.  It doesn't lessen any of the pain to watch it.  But sometimes we are able to do only what we can do, and hopefully know and believe we are helping them in some small way.

My heart goes out to you both. 

Take care,

-L.

I'm floored by the things my little one says. A couple months after Dad died and just before turning 5:

"Mama, everything dies, but numbers go on forever!"

Then proceeded to count until getting bored.

Breaks my heart. Again.

I understand.  I have a few shots of my children similar to the one you posted.  Yours reminded me of one I took of my daughter on father?s day a couple of years after dh died where she appeared to be deep in thought.

happyFathersDaydaddy4.jpg

My son was just a baby when we lost dh.  He is now 5 and it is like reliving it in some ways.  The other day he told me ?My dad is going to at least come and give me a hug.  Isn?t he??    I don?t remember my exact response.  Something along the lines of ?he would if he could, but??  He shrieked, ?WHAT?!? Then he threw his head against my chest.  A few minutes later, he started sobbing when I said no to something else.  It was something that would not normally illicit that reaction.  I figured it was all related so I just held him.

It's still the hardest part of all of this.  I can't protect them from it.

Your little boy sounds incredibly thoughful and sweet.  Hugs to you both.

My daughter is 17, and does pretty good with the day-to-day aspect of grief most days, now (we are 15 months out). It is the milestones that tend to get her really contemplative and missing Mom. We found out two days ago that she will be receiving a partial academic scholarship to the University she will be attending.

It was bittersweet after the initial elation wore off, as she thought a bit about proud Mom would be of her - and hoping that she somehow knows. It was killing me inside, too.