unspoken language

little things we did without saying a word

I was at my nephews wedding and it struck me that when the salad came

that when my Don was here I would without hesitation put my red onion on his plate and he would put his cucumbers on mine

it made me think of all the little things we did without having to say anything

Like the nod across the room saying it is time to go

the smile or quiet laughter when one of our private jokes was out there and only we knew what it meant

the rolling eyes ,that only we saw, at a pain in the ass relative at the holidays

the fixing of an outfit that was either wrinkled or a bit of the tag was hanging out

being able to order what you knew they wanted at a restaurant if they were running late

their ability to know exactly what we needed when times were at the lowest without us having to say a word

I miss this 

This was a beautiful post. Thank you so much, for sharing it with us. While reading, I was reminded of the times, when my Kenneth was in the hospital ICU and completely unable to communicate. If he was agitated, though, I could just reach over and hold his hand for a while, and he would settle down. Just knowing that he knew I was there, even when he couldn't verbalize it, and knowing that my presence made a him feel better meant everything to me, during those dark days. Those moments were some of the most cherished moments of our lives together, and not a word was spoken.

So many times I turn in a situation to catch Tim's knowing eye, and of course, he's not there.  Thanks for putting into words all of those small intimate connections that I miss.

Also, I gave him my tomatoes and I got his black olives.

I always got the cherry, he always got the crutons.  When we would be out with a group of people or even alone we would squeez each others hand, or arm, or leg, 3 times to say "I love you" and then we would look at each other and smile.  Often times it would be during times when we weren't supposed to be talking, like during a wedding, or a movie.  I think that's one of the things I am going to miss most.

Oh, I miss it. I miss him. The way he would flash an "I love you" in American Sign Language across a room, or the grocery store aisle. Silly little songs he made up. Pseudo-ventriloquism with the cats: "Bring me a cookie. I need a cookie for my tiny, tiny mouth." Wouldn't make sense to anyone in the whole world but me. Never will again. That hurts. Oh, that hurts...

He ate the meat, I ate the veggies.  He's the only person I've ever been able to be silent with and have it be so meaningful.

My husband was a carnivore,lol, I'm a vegetarian..so yes we did the whole swap thing at functions where we were served our meal!

There were so many things that never had to be said, but could be communicated by body language, or a certain look that no one else would ever be able to interpret! That unspoken language comes with time and love.  I miss him so much it hurts.