One month from tomorrow...

will be what should have been our 3rd wedding anniversary. We never celebrated one together. The top of our wedding cake still sits in the freezer at my parents house, our wedding scrapbook remains undone. I haven't watched the video since he died. The last time we watched the video, we sat in my old bedroom with my whole family and watched it. He held me in his arms, we both cried happy tears because the love we shared was so amazing.

Almost three years later and he's gone. I won't go to work on our anniversary because it will be to hard. Part of me just wants to lay in the bed and cry but another part of wants to check my nieces out of school and go on a day trip. That way I will be distracted.

I don't know what to do. It's so hard without him.

hugs to you, Alexswife.

I'm on a different timescale but I'm similar to you - the top of my wedding cake is in my mother's fridge, waiting for the birth of the firstborn child we'll never have, I haven't started the scrapbook for which Elle cut out photos before she died, and I haven't even had the official photos printed although I have seen them online.  It's too painful right now and I need to protect my heart.

Why can't you do both crying and distracting?  Spend the morning sobbing, get it out, then distract yourself.  Do something nice.  Buy a treat.  Cuddle your nieces and watch the excitement on their faces as you take them somewhere exciting.

More hugs.

G x

• 2 months later...

I have nothing to offer but hugs and admiration for how far you have come. I have followed your journey and know how hard you have worked to put one foot in front of the other. You are so much stronger than you give yourself credit for. You will get through this milestone, as you have others.

I hope you know how much people here care about you. (((Alexswife)))

In the fourteen months that I have been a member of this community and reading your posts, I have grown to have nothing but respect for you. I really have no words of comfort, but wanted you to know that you will make it through this anniversary, as you have other anniversaries before. I know it sucks, and I am so sorry you didn't even get to celebrate one anniversary with your Alex.

Thanks for all of the support. I spent our anniversary laying in bed watching netflix and crying. It was a horrible day but I survived. I miss him so much. In less than two months it will be three years since he left. Where did all of that time go? It seems like yesterday. My life has changed so much since that day but the pain stays the same. It's always with me, never fading. I love him more than I could ever express.

I'm so sorry, AW. My upcoming 3rd wedding anniversary looms at the end of June. We celebrated only one wedding anniversary together.

As I read your posts, each one paints the portrait of how lovestruck your marriage was and is.

Wedding anniversaries are just tragic spent without the one who gave that day meaning.

Hugs and hand pats, lil lady.

Baylee