Feel I am doing ok as single parent except when unexpected happens

Captains wife

Let's face it...being an only parent is a tough job although I feel very blessed to have my son. I feel, with the help I get, I have things somewhat under control and recently things generally have been ok and was looking forward to better Xmas. But when the unexpected happens, I kind of fall apart again- even 3 years on...my 4 yr old son was at a play date this week (I was at work) and he fell when jumping and broke his leg. Luckily he will be ok and luckily it isn't a whole lot worse but I'm weepy and struggling to handle this..on top of everything else. My son is just crying and screaming and I feel helpless- am doing all I can to help but some of it out of my hands. And I'm sad about all the fun Xmas stuff we had planned we can't do now. I know, I should suck it up and quit being a wimp. Guess I am feeling sorry for the two of us and needed to vent... : (

Ah, Captains wife!  I'm sorry little J broke his leg!  This makes everything harder, doesn't it?!?  I know the next several weeks won't be the way you want them to be.  My experience with kids and broken bones is that it won't be long before he has less pain and he will be more manageable.  Boredom will become the biggest problem.

None-the-less, you are heartbroken for him.  Hugs to you!!!

Maureen

I am so sorry to hear about your son, poor little guy! I find when these emergency type things happen I am good in the moment but I really miss having DH here to fall apart with behind closed doors. When we are doing it solo we have no safe place (except here) to put down our brave front.

The good news is that his pain will subside and he will figure out all kinds of ways to adapt until the cast comes off because kids are amazing that way!  Big hugs to you both.

(((CW and CW's son))) I experienced a similar situation with my son twice, both times involving an ambulance. One break required emergency surgery and several nights in the hospital while multiple friends shuffled the care of my other son then two months in a wheelchair. I felt helpless and I wept unable to take away his pain. Life came to a screeching halt and I felt so very alone. It was my first big test since losing DH, but it strangely gave me strength because we got through it and it brought us closer.

Hang in there and look for opportunities you can enjoy in his temporarily-disabled state.

abl

So totally not a wimp! It would have been hard on you if your little guy broke his leg were your husband here. Face it - when our kids are hurting, we're hurting. Doing it on your own is so much harder - you don't have that one other person who is totally committed to the kiddo. Relatives and friends can empathize but don't really know what you are feeling. Throw in the incredible sense of vulnerability we feel and the knowledge of how fast life can change into the mix of an injured child and, of course, you're going to be emotional.

Give yourself a break. Try not to sweat Christmas - do what you can and what you want and use this as an opportunity to go small and simple this holiday season.

So sorry this happened to your son but glad it is not a difficult break. Poor little guy - that just sucks...for both of you!

You are not a whimp and you have every right to vent!

I'm so sorry your little guy is going through this. I hope he heals quickly!

Solo parenting sucks and you can only do what can do. We are all human.

Just think...One day you will have funny stores to tell about your Christmas with a broken leg!

Thank you all. Bad break but he is being a trooper. But I'm not going to lie-it has been hell. More for him of course but not easy for me either. Living at inlaws and so appreciate their help but am constantly butting heads with my MIL plus trying to keep up my work/job on the side. Real damper on Xmas and I had been feeling good but now slightly depressed although think it's partly lack of sleep as I've been sleeping on the floor in his room. The good news though in all this is the bonding time my son and I are getting right now- I just love that kid so much,

Sending hugs as you and your son get through this.  It totally stinks and especially with Christmas right around the corner. Hey, at at least it didn't happen right before a beach vacation. Not much consolation, I know. Hopefully you and your MIL can find a way to peacefully coexist.

• 2 weeks later...