Interesting article on dating and many of our vents...

momtokam

Guest TalksToAngels

I think it gets worse as you progress in age.

Social media and a dating site for every possible configuration has made shopping for a virtual "perfect" image of someone, very shallow and impersonal. Today's dating seems to be hookup first ask questions later, too easy to upgrade because you question something about someone, and if it seems it won't work out, hey I'm chatting with four or ten other people, so I don't care if I hurt someone's hopes and feelings.

At 22 she's certainly figured it out !

If you didn't know better, you'd think that article had been written by a bitter, world-weary 50 year old, not a 22 year old woman. My stepdaughter is 22 and she and her friends spend their time going to Coachella, working, wondering about graduate school, working some more, getting together to explore the world, expanding their circles and posting stuff on Instagram. Who "dates" at 22? If this woman possibly thought about maybe enjoying her friends at the bar, not trying to get the attention of some random dude who's clearly not interested in her, she'd probably have a far more enjoyable evening. As for Tinder…well it's supposedly great as a sex hook up site (and nothing wrong with that if that's your thing) but trying to find a "gentleman" there who will open doors and buy her stuff - she might be mildly delusional.

I bet if she spent half the social capital she currently expends on her unsuccessful "dating" efforts on more interesting and worthwhile pursuits, she'd find the pieces would fall into place a lot more than they do now. I doubt she will though. Her life at 32, 42 and 52 will likely be as unsatisfactory and unhappy as it is now. And that's sad.