Teenagers...

SoVerySad

Sometimes they can really push your buttons. Yet sometimes they can really warm your heart. Yesterday my son asked if I was okay. I assured him I was just a little exhausted from my counseling session Monday. I told him it had given me a lot to think about. He asked me about my session, as I actually attend his sessions with him. I told him we are setting goals for me to work on. One is to realize it isn't my job to make others happy. He responded with something like you mean how you are so empathetic? I said yes. My son responded, "Mom, I don't want you to change. You care more about people than anyone else I've ever known. It is one of the things I love most about you." I love that boy (almost man) of mine.

SVS  - Wow!! What a loving, caring, mature son.  Yes, they push our buttons but one remark like that is worth it.  I agree with him.  Don't change.  The world needs more caring people and empathy seems to be in short supply in today's world.  Hugs to you and your son.

Guest TooSoon

This made me smile; what a sweet young man.  Empathy is a gift.  Your therapist will help you find strategies for deploying your empathy in healthier and less exhausting ways.  Lots of love to you three, dear friend.