When panic sets in (hope you'll laugh with me!)

arneal

So I decided to try online dating. I'd never considered doing such a thing before, but realized being alone was not for me. I joined a few of the larger sites for free as well as some lesser known ones. I was copying and pasting profiles all over the place  :D

I got a message from a guy on one site and was intrigued enough to pay for a month's service (it was one of those that limited your functionality if you had a free account). We've been talking and texting ever since.

We are both feeling quite a bit of attraction and all of a sudden he's talking real serious ... like marriage type stuff. And you guessed it: I've panicked!

Has anyone else been through this? I'd love to hear the good, bad, and otherwise  :-[

Yeah, I thought so as well. I have said as much :) There are those stories out there, though ... I guess it's one of those things of erring on the side of caution combined with wanting a happily ever after  :D

We've been talking and texting ever since.

We are both feeling quite a bit of attraction and all of a sudden he's talking real serious ... like marriage type stuff.

Have you met this person?  If not, I think this is madness.  Even feeling attraction in the absence of meeting - what does it mean?  I'm not saying you can't be attracted to someone's mind, but....

I say meet this person ASAP, and be cautious.  "Talk is cheap," especially when facing a menu of potential mates, from the safety of behind a computer/phone. 

That is true. It's been video since we are at a distance. Still planning the in-person. Let me clarify -- I don't mean like 'Hey, let's get married right now' ... I mean just exploring the conversation, like would I consider it in future.

Sorry if I caused more panic with my panic!

Its nice that you found a connection but I would proceed with caution. While online dating has its positives (I met my LH online on Match!) and I have used it since, I would be generally wary of anyone getting into any type of serious relationship talk too fast, especially if you haven't met in person. It could be this guy is a "relationship" guy so some guys move faster than others (and it could be that he has honorable intentions), especially if they meet someone they like. But protect yourself too ! Remember it does tend to be all roses at the beginning but its important to take time to get to know someone. But in the meantime, have fun !!

Great points, Captain's Wife! I tend toward cautious and have my 'sisters in arms' looking out for me. Thank you for mentioning the 'relationship' guy -- from our conversations I get the impression he is one of those. He is also a widower (longer than I) and I think he's looking for serious. I don't have a problem with that. The more I read here and elsewhere, there is that notion of looking for the hook-up and looking for the serious, so knowing where he's coming from is good as well.