Moving..my daughter grief..my hometown

Sugarbell

We have a move day June 20th. Closing on old house June 24th. Been making trips with boxes, cleaning, etc. oldest loves it still...middle son excited that he's playing on an 8th grade summer ball team (he's in 6th).. my daughter had a major meltdown once her school ended..she realized the finality.

It's been just me since she was 3 months...Stepford, her house, her neighborhood...it's been her security, safe zone. She wants new house just like her old house. I am going overboard doing things with her helping me get new house ready. And have numerous play dates and her birthday party in old house (June 11th). Today worked on her school stuff...got her in summer reading program in new town...but she doesn't like this change. I know she will be fine...But I underestimated her attachment/security here.

I spent the day cleaning new house, planting flowers...my sons assistant baseball coach (who I knew from high school) is painting and doing drywall for us. The mailman yelled at me by name and told me that they have been forwarding my mail to my folks house (no clue who he was)... the lady at city building when I signed for water/sewer..I went to school with her son. Saw the mayor-went to high school with her daughter and we are still friends. My friend painting for me was going through my list of contractors for a deck "Nope don't get that guy...he just got out of prison for second degree murder" and was shocked I missed that whole news story in the late 90s.

Our high school baseball team is going to the state final four tournament and the town is having a parade for them. Signs were all over town. As I was pulling out of the neighborhood...the circuit court judge who lives up the hill pulled in and pointed his finger out the window and grinned "Behave Dons daughter" (he knew my Dad).

It's weird...it's only an hour south of Stepford...but oh so totally different. All the things I couldn't stand as a young right out of college grad..as a solo middle age Mom I appreciate and want this for my kids. Everyone knows everyone (and its 4 times bigger than Stepford) but people aren't pretentious.

Feel like I am living in a Live Reality TV show back home. And my daughter forced me to listen to country music with the windows down in town today (Which I can't stand country..but it's a staple here)

My heart goes out to your daughter, change can be really hard.  It's an emotionally charged time But you know this is the right move for all of you and she will be fine.  Enjoy making the new house your home! 

"Sometimes you have to wander around until you find where you really belong -

And sometimes it's right where you started."

― Rachel Gibson

A%2BNew%2BBeginning%2B-%2Bfamous%2Bquotes.png

Wishing you and your family Happiness and Contentment with this New Beginning!

ATJ

:)

Change is hard for kids.  But kids are also so resilient.  I hope her entry into the new school goes smoothly.

I can really relate to planting yourself back where you wanted out.  I returned to the area where I grew up when I got pregnant - the place I spent my whole life up to 18 trying to escape.  And now I'm raising my daughter here.  It's funny how you see it differently, see the good in it, once you've left....  "Who says you can't go home?"  Good luck!  Look forward to hearing all about this new adventure for you and your family. 

Change is hard for kids.  But kids are also so resilient.  I hope her entry into the new school goes smoothly.

I can really relate to planting yourself back where you wanted out.  I returned to the area where I grew up when I got pregnant - the place I spent my whole life up to 18 trying to escape.  And now I'm raising my daughter here.  It's funny how you see it differently, see the good in it, once you've left....  "Who says you can't go home?"  Good luck!  Look forward to hearing all about this new adventure for you and your family.

Roots...

The other day was comical!

My friend from high school brought his 3 man work crew for drywaling my basement....

The one who was in charge was a dwarf/midget...he was great and it was amusing watching this 3ft dwarf boss these 6ft men around (but he knows his stuff I felt better with him there!).

He wants to put a bid on a deck for me (he saw a few guys stopping by to give me an estimate and was quick to let me know he can do it cheaper).

It's at least pretty entertaining...and so far he's making them work!😜