School topic

mmg19

Does your getting up and going to bed times affect your kids.  In the past we started a week before school going to bed earlier and getting up earlier.  This year they want to just bite the bullet and accept they will be tired day 1 but this means no trouble getting to sleep that night.  I prefer the gradual process but I feel it's up to them.  What works for your kids?

My daughter (9)... It's a weeklong gradual going to bed earlier...getting up a little earlier each day. But that's her personality...and she's more reasonable lol

My boys (almost 12 and 14)...I just rip the bandaid off...it usually only takes 2 or 3 days and they are on a somewhat sleep schedule...but they are cranky for about 2 days. I've tried the gradual thing...they don't do it so now it's on them.

We always have every intention of doing the gradual thing but it seems every year we have late night stuff going on the week before school starts.  We also go back just 3 days before Labor Day weekend and then the 3 day weekend throws them back off again. 

The boys have another week before their school starts but I will be going this week.  So I'm the gradual person and will be resetting my internal clock tonight.  I know this is no big deal but as a teacher I know the importance of adequate sleep for teenagers. 

I traditionally rip the bandaid off a few days before school starts to get them acclimated. However, last year and this year they do a kayak trip with new guy the week before school starts, so he has them adjusted mostly for me.  ;)

I encourage my teens to go to bed earlier and get up earlier a few days before they go back. I figure they're old enough to deal with the consequences if they decide not to. My 9 year old doesn't get a choice.

My daughters start Wednesday. Here's what our summer schedule has been like... 11pm-1pm getting up, 2am-4am going to bed. Our school schedule is 6am-7am getting up, 9pm-12am going to bed. It's going to be a rough week! I'm glad they only have 3 days this week.