Those of us in school...or changing careers...

Wheelerswife

...where are you?

Today is the first day of my last semester in school.  I feel like I should take one of those back to school photos that people take of their kids!  In December, I graduate with my MSE in Higher Education Student Affairs.  This will be a second career for me.  I have a lot to accomplish in the next 16 weeks, and as always, it feels really overwhelming.  But just like everything else we have to accomplish, I have to do this one day at a time.

Who else is out there?  Anyone else in school this fall or in the process of a career change?

Maureen

Congratulations Maureen. What a good feeling to be on the final run. I have new respect for anyone completing anything to do with school. I started in January, six months after losing my husband. I have been on summer break and will start again at the end of September. Its been very difficult for me. Working, Schooling, grieving, dating, and trying to mentally care for myself.

It's a career change required for me to keep my home and be able to pay my mortgage. But it's also required to keep me happy in life and apply what I learned with my husband in a meaningful way. Can't wait to get school done and be over that hump.

Awesome! Way to Go Maurenn!😊

I had to take 6 college hours this summer to renew my permanent teaching certificate. Just mailed out transcripts/application today. Working as a long term sub..but can't apply for full time teaching position till in comes in. I feel like I have been working/studying/moving/ for a year. Studied and passed Praxis for additional Social Studies 5-9 endorsement and studying for Special Ed endorsement test middle of Sept.

I feel like I have reinvented myself half a dozen times since becoming widowed almost 9 years ago.

Life is constant change...nothing remains static..

I quit my career back in January and still haven't figured out what I want to do next. I haven't done much of anything but decompress. For 7 months. I guess I was wound way more tight than i thought, and most surprising to me- I haven't fallen apart without all the stress... Most days I would have told you that stress was the only thing holding me together. Now I have to admit that it was really holding me back from being the mom and person I want to be. I just have to figure out now what to do with the rest of my life!

Good Luck Maureen.  You can see the finish line.

Since changing to teaching, I find I will be forever in the learning mode.  I'm taking a class online (not required) that will better prepare me with new content in the subject I am teaching. 

I am still working on my career change having hit some road blocks in finding office space to open my own massage and wellness practice.  I'm working part time for someone else but I'm anxious to get my own business going.  I have a week long continuing Ed course coming up in September that I'm really excited about.  Change is motivating and terrifying at the same time.