Camp Kesem

Guest TooSoon

Guest TooSoon

It is time for my annual pitch for the amazing summer camp my daughter attends, Camp Kesem.  This organization is run by college students all across the country.  It is a week long sleep away camp that is free of charge and is designed for any child aged 6-16 whose life has been impacted by cancer.  Most of the children there have a parent living with cancer or who has died from cancer.  My daughter goes to the UPenn branch of Camp Kesem and I cannot say enough great things about the young people who run this amazing program and the fantastic experience we've had over the years.  I know there are few others here on the message board whose children have attended and I'm sure they would agree that its a tremendous organization.

Here is their website; you can look up a chapter near you from there; slots fill up VERY quickly and open enrollment has already begun.  I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about Camp Kesem! 

http://campkesem.org/

Signed my girls up a couple of years ago thanks to Toosoon's post. One of the best things I could do for my kids. They get a week at camp with other kids that get it and I get a week free of parenting. A huge win win. Camp is great, my kids are signed up again. I have nothing but good things to say about this camp and the college students who run it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you TooSoon.  A friend of ours made a donation to this camp in memory of my husband (who died in October).  I have been in touch with Camp Kesem and found a chapter close to us (we're in Louisiana, but the closest is in Alabama). My girls will go in June right after school ends for the summer.

Also, for children who have lost a parent, not just to cancer, the Moyer Foundation has Camp Erin with several chapters nationwide.  I had already been looking for such camps after his diagnosis 16 months before. I'm sure someone has way ahead of me on posting this, but just in case, here's the link:

https://moyerfoundation.org/camps-programs/camp-erin/

• 5 months later...

My kids are there this week.  At first they were a little apprehensive but when I dropped them off,  the counselors were quick to get them involved in game with the other campers.  I am so glad I found out about this camp from this board!!

And the plus side is that mom finally gets a break!  I love my kids but it's nice to hang out with adults once and awhile!!

Guest TooSoon

So glad to hear your kids are at Camp Kesem!  Mine will be going for her third year this year and LOVES it!  Great counselors, great organization! 

And yes, ENJOY YOUR BREAK!  8) 8) 8)