Hubbys collections

Momtojandj

So , my husband was into antiques . We have a Victorla , sewing machine , depression glasses.. you get the idea. I am not really into them . They also no longer "fit" in my decor. I don't have a huge house and currently redoing rooms . So do I continue to hold on to them because of him? Sell ? Curious what other people have done. Mind you, it's more than furniture .. stamps , coins .. those are easy to store and pass to my kids at some point .

Still working on this, and it is 5 years later.  I am able to let go of more and more as it is a burden now, not a need to hold onto him in some form.

So, that being stated, I would let it go.  If it doesn't bring you joy and enjoyment, why just store it?  Selling it is an option but takes effort.  Maybe worth it?  IDK.  But move it on. You have what you need to remember him, yes?  Not the stuff.... 

Oh, an article just floated around FB  about your "Kids do not want their parents' stuff."  The new generations are more about minimization and changing things out, maybe consumerism.    But they don't care about lots of things such as antiques.  Doesn't go well with the newest technology.

My husband had a lot of "stuff", too.  From childhood, he always loved dismantling broken electronics, etc., and warehousing the parts for future projects.  He used to be a DIY kinda guy...mostly because he was in school so long (= poor) and, well, one never knows when one can use another (fill in the blank).  His collections of parts, screws, bolts, wire, etc. went to the local Maker Space where people can come and fiddle around and build whatever they want.  After making a reasonable size collection of tools for myself, I offered some tools, a workbench and a tool cabinet to a friend.  The rest of the big tools went to Habitat for Humanity.  The people there were grateful to get everything I offered.

I found someone who is selling some other household property and some collectibles I no longer want on eBay for a 50-50 split.  This has taken some time, but I'm glad to let go of things.

When I moved after my first husband died, I gave away a lot of furniture to a family that had been burned out of their house.  I also gave away a lot of knickknacks and doubles of household appliances.  I was living back east then, and the a Vietnam Veterans group came and picked up quite a bit of loot.  I believe that they split proceeds with Big Brothers/Big Sisters.

I think the biggest problem I had was being ready to start the process...and intermittently to continue the process.

Best wishes,

Maureen

my husband was a model train collector. These things were not cheap. There is tens of thousands of dollars of model trains displayed throughout the house. I always sort of went "oh cool I like the red one"...in other word I wasn't fascinated by them but if he wanted to invest in them that was fine.

Now every time I think about doing something with them I'm overwhelmed. They are worth a lot but I don't know which ones are the expensive ones and feel like if I get a collector or someone in to appraise them, that they'll rip me off because I don't know anything about them.......and I hate feeling ripped off!

So I do nothing....