Happy (?) 4th of July

JeanGenie

I'm in between happy moments and so there was some sadness and damp eyes this morning. DS was home the past 3 days and he just fills the house and my heart with such love and laughter. He left yesterday and the inevitable "down" that follows hit me this morning. But soon some fellow wid friends (that I met through this board!) will be arriving and a small group of us will spend the afternoon/evening together. I know we will have a good time and will certainly laugh a lot.

What are your plans for this 4th of July? I hope they bring you happy moments.

Another bago, my friend?  Sorry I missed the last one, but glad you are seeing friends.  I'm on my own today, hoping to push myself through another round of job applications while hoping tomorrow brings a phone call or 2 for second round interviews.  Tonight will be loud (fireworks are legal here and have been sounding off for the last few nights...for hours) and then there are the official fireworks, too.  I haven't tried to connect with any friends for today, though yesterday I saw a dear friend and that helped boost my low spirits.

I'm not in a celebratory mood...but I'm glad others will have fun today!

Hugs,

Maureen

Attended our town's fireworks last night with friends and two of my kids. It was a great time.

Today we'll cook out and sit around and enjoy each other's company all day - tonight we'll have a bonfire and shoot off fireworks with the neighborhood kids. Making the potato salad now.

Good times!

Best wishes - Mike

Guest TooSoon

Thinking of you, Maureen!  What gives with the four days of fireworks?  We had our refugee friends over for dinner last night and the neighbors were setting fireworks off at like 6 pm during dinner -  you couldn't even see them and the noise was crazy!

We're going to our neighborhood pool with some friends today.  Planning to cook out and let the children wear themselves out.  Our town had its fireworks on Saturday night because the forecast called for more storms today but now the forecast looks clear.  Looking forward to beer, "not-dogs" and sparklers (in that order). 

Its Andy's first July 4th in the US - the past few years we've all been in England together.  He has a bit of a complex about it all, given that he's British and it is, after all, a holiday celebrating the original Brexit! ;D

Happy 4th all!  Hope, if nothing else, everyone can enjoy a day of rest. 

Happy Independence Day to all my American Wids!!

Once again JG we were thinking the same thing LOL  I logged in to wish you all a happy day and there you go doing it too! Sorry you had your down time as well.  It's always hard when they leave, such an empty feeling.

I'm envious you have wids around to celebrate!! Have a great time all of you!

Hugs to you Maureen.

It was a beautiful day here. I scrubbed my vinyl siding clear of algae, took the dog for a walk and got ice cream from the ice cream man. My dad also stopped by this morning to fix a leaking hose valve.

So basically, a very ordinary day over here. I saw my local wid tribe two nights ago for the town fireworks. I wish every weekend was 4 days long for the rest of the summer.

We had a great day on the boat and cooking out at home.  We had all 5 boys this morning before son #2 had to go to work and oldest son stayed for dinner before heading back to his place.  A perfectly lovely blended family day.

My hometown is supposedly the largest small town 4th celebration in America. (Not sure if that's still true but the signs still say it)

Non stop from 8am till midnight...parade, cookouts..spent half day with my family, watched parade with NG family. Hung with friends..then fireworks. This is only my 3rd 4th of July here since I graduated high school. Forgot what a big deal it was. It was a super fun day!

Lingering happy thoughts of 4th of July today.  Our holiday started July 1 when relatives started arriving for the annual reunion at my parents home.  Cleaned, cooked, and set up as I could at parents home on Saturday with the help of my boys.  Sunday festivities at church homecoming.  Monday was a cookout at my house and finally the 4th with visiting both sets of grandparents.  Boys had friends over for a volleyball tournament,

Today it is clean-up at parents and all relatives gone.  My parents are in their 70's and appreciate all the help putting tents, tables, chairs, etc. away. 

This is the first July 4th with new husband.  We both lost our spouses over 4 years ago and thankful the light has returned to our lives along with the fireworks. 

I agree with the bittersweet feelings for the 4th

Don and I would host an open house for this day so friends and family could come by

We did this so we could just hang at the house and enjoy the yard

Playing games in the backyard and with people coming and going

I miss those times

This time I meet up with some wonderful friends

We had a great night of music , fireworks and a sleepover party

It was a great way to recharge the emotional battery that has been draining a bit lately

I truly thank those people for making this a great day :)

take care

• 4 weeks later...

Jeannie -

Thank you for starting this thread. I have been away from these boards for so long (over a year), and I came back to find a thread on July 4th ... the very day Catherine died. On top of it, I see all these wonderful people (many of whom I have met in person) are posting here. I hope everyone has been well, all things considered.

I always plant new flowers at Catherine's grave ahead of July 4th - it's no longer "The 4th of July" for me. I then go to lunch with her mother. Otherwise, I spend that day alone.

I have spent most of this July alone. Honestly, I've spent most of this past year alone, except for the night classes I took during the winter and spring. But this past July has been an unpleasant month for me. I'm glad that August begins tomorrow, and that I'll be going out of town this weekend.

|+|  M a r k  |+|