my eyes are bigger than my stomach

Guest oneoftwo

Guest oneoftwo

I'm so tired of wasting food! It took me down several chef notches without my husband, and then with 2 of the kids away at college. The last kid has a summer job which takes him away alot- and now I have all this food I'm throwing out.

I HATE IT.

It was one of my peeves when I'd visit my parents (Costco shoppers)- "you know Mom, it's not such a good deal if you have to throw half of it out cuz it's rotten"

And now that is me.

I guess I need to learn to cook from a menu, which I never did. I cooked for all of us, great food, just going down and shopping, and then looking in the fridge and thinking "Hmm, what should I make tonight?"

This change has been coming for a while, but I think I need to address it- I'm sick of wasting food!

I so agree.

My niece uses one of those Blue Apron type of meal delivery services

She says it has good portions and she doesn't waste as much food

plus it has her trying different types of meals she might normally have tried to cook 

a little pricey but so it throwing away all that food

Early on I wasted too much food too. It's a process to learn to shop for one. Now I buy freshly prepared meals from the local supermarket. No more endless leftovers. One serving. It's nice. Occasionally I will put something in the freezer that adapts well to that.

Caveat don't let anyone know if you do this. The commentariat may scold you about the cost of the prepared items. One more area where we are public domain.

Tonight is a toss salad, grilled mango shrimp on a bed of steamed rice. Dessert is from Cheesecake Factory. CF has a half price slice promo yesterday and today to celebrate National Cheesecake Day.

We don't consume fresh fruits and veggies fast enough. I toss those out a lot still. I am trying to stick to what we can actually consume. Us 3 girls don't eat as much without Josh, sadly. He was our main eater. A normal dinner would be done in 1 sitting with him. Without him, we have easily 2 additional meal portions based on how much we eat. I admit that I do miss making real comprehensive meals. I love to cook but it doesn't make sense to make all that complicated food and I'm tired as it is working and getting everyone everywhere. We eat a lot of simple meals now but we don't waste as much food and we don't have leftovers forever.

Guest oneoftwo

Luckily I have chickens and dogs to eat some, and a compost bin for the rest. but it's still sad- even yummy fresh cherries, left too long.

With how much is getting pitched, you'd think I would have lost weight ;D

I tried a premade brand I heard was great- wont do that again, really bad.

My current mission is to buy as little as possible, I have enough homegrown lamb and zuchini and basel to feed an army- so I guess that'll do!

I don't buy the prepared meals but I do make things like stew, soups, casseroles etc and put them into 1 serving glass containers to freeze.  Makes it so much easier especially when I don't feel like cooking.  My problem is I always make too much.  lol

Oh my goodness- I hate wasting food! Luckily, I have an old dog who eats 'people food' and a compost bin for the few things that go bad (that makes me feel a bit less sad about tossing stuff). Here's what I've done to cut down on this 'horror':

I keep a big bag in the freezer for vegetables that are about to turn, scraps from cooking each day, and cheese rinds. When I have enough, I make a giant pot of vegetable broth, which I then freeze in meal size containers. tortellini (which I buy in bulk and freeze) in vegetable broth with a little cheese on top makes for a super easy yummy meal.

If there are any leftovers from a soup I've made I immediately put them into single serving containers and freeze- I kinda hate eating the same thing right away and then I always have soup on hand when I don't feel like cooking.

I love fancy salads but hate making them so sometimes I splurge at the health food store by purchasing a pre-made single serving salad. It's so worth it.

I freeze a lot of fruit for use in future baking and smoothies. I love to bake and smoothies are an easy go-to meal. My favorite is spinach, cucumber, and mango (all things you can freeze!) with some lime juice.

If you're growing beans, basil, and potatoes I highly recommend pasta pesto with potatoes and beans- I make it once a week and even like it cold!

For me, it's been learning to take stock of the food situation every day (usually while I'm waiting for the coffee in the morning.)

I just got a cookbook by Tracy Yabiku called 'Baking For Two' that is totally rocking my world. She also has a blog, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Guest oneoftwo

I do know all the tricks to cook for one, even good stuff. Usually what happens is that I get all the ingredients, sit on them for too long, then give them to the chickens. Lack of motivation. Sprouts don't last too long in the fridge- oh and my chickens wont eat them.

In my case I think it is that I really enjoy cooking a meal- meaning a real meal, good food, laughter, drinks- to share with family/friends. Now that I'm down to 'preparing food' for me, it's just another thing reminding me of all of it. And these days my go to answer is to be angry

Yeah toast for dinner will become a staple again.

But I do like toast, so there's that.

Ah, yes. I see. Sorry about that- I guess my enthusiasm got the best of me, a bit carried away...yeah- my go-to answer to more than a few things lately seems to be anger. And yes- toast is most excellent. If you are fond of cinnamon and sugar I highly recommend using coconut oil instead of butter.

Guest oneoftwo

I'm not a chef, but I can cook- It's nice to share.

But it's becoming something I guess I also will give up.

I didn't account for that

Guest oneoftwo

For example, if yall were stopping by I'd have a nice home made lasagna (spicey sausage), garlic bread and a full salad, and some red wine.

Instead, tonight I have baked beans on toast.

There is a difference

My husband had a stepdad who was English and taught him about beans on toast. I myself couldn't get on board, but it sure was nice to be able to make him that as a 'treat' when I didn't feel like cooking!

Since I am alone now, I buy the meals already made at the grocery store deli.  You are so very right .......don't tell anyone in the real world about it.    They would have way too much to say about it.....

I learned that lesson years ago when I was first a widow.

Thank you everyone for sharing your food stories.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to like food and I loved cooking those big dishes for my beloved and sitting down to dinner at the table.

Now I just eat whatever. Peanut butter toast sounds good, I haven't had it in over 7 years. I suppose I'll have to get a toaster...

I used to make big batches of spaghetti and meat balls, lasagna, chili, mexican buffet style and similar cooking adventures. Now my son cooks most of his own food (he's 12 and his creativity is gradually increasing) and I just grab whatever.

During the first year of being widowed, my fridge was in varying states of "too much leftovers" and "not enough food." It was tough to adjust since after my beloved passed my brother stopped crashing at my place on the regular and moved out of state for college.

I had to learn to "cook for one." That was difficult as I have been cooking for a family since I was 6 and had to use a chair to reach the stove top. It took a paradigm shift to come out of the "let's make a big batch of <whatever>!" behavior.