Met the Neighbour...

Guest Lost35

Guest Lost35

I live in a nice little neighbourhood and all the neighbours are friendly, slightly older couples.  I've been here for two years now.  A few months ago, a tall (I'm tall) nice-looking divorced man and his daughter moved in across the street.  Since then, the neighbours have been hoping we meet, which is both funny and sweet, I think.

Anyway, today I was digging up a flower-bed and he grabbed his shovel and came over to help, which was AWESOME as I don't have help for things and am horrible at asking for it.  We ended up chatting about this and that and stood for about an hour, I guess.  I didn't want to look around at the houses as I had the sneaking suspicion more than a few blinds would be rattling.  Ha.

So,  he is easy-going and friendly, and he is helpful.  He seems to be a good dad to his grown daughters.  He knows how to do all sorts of handy-man stuff and has a good job with a military background.  He asked me a question about vapour-barrier when he found out what I did for a living, which I thought was good as sometimes some men don't like to appear that they don't know themselves.

Anyway,  I think it would be nice to have a friend in the neighbourhood who is a guy and not married.  I really, really miss my guy friends and the conversations we had.  He offered to help when it is time to build my fence, which I truly appreciate.

It is a bit weird to try to get to know each other while everyone watches...my neighbour came over after, all smiles.  Ha.

I have become so good at guarding my feelings that I'm not sure I could ever let myself feel anything for anyone ever again.  So I don't feel anything that way.

I suppose it is just good to meet a new friend (with a shovel!) who is easy-going and nice to talk to.

That's about as much of a "Social Encounter" as I can manage at the moment, but I'm happy it happened as I enjoyed the chat and the help.

-L.

I'm happy it happened too.  That's how many many things start ... with a simple "Hi".  Sounds like a scene from a movie , in my head I was seeing like Wisteria Lane lol when you mentioned the blinds rattling.

Happy you met.......seems like a nice relaxed start that could lead to something more or just be a great neighbourhood friend which as you said knows how to use a shovel.

I laughed at the blind rattling image. My neighbour is an 85 year old widow who watches out for me. She is so cute....and bold. She always checks on me and when I first started to date she was over quite quickly telling me how happy she was for me and even telling me I'd found a"good looking " one too.She said it with an odd twinkle in her eye. I think she maybe living vicariously through my dating adventures. :)

Guest Lost35

Ha. 

The neighbours are good.  They mean well and want the best for my son and I.  It's good to know they think well enough of us to care (and your neighbour as well, Klim!)

At least now I have added motivation to finally start building that fence.  :)  I don't have to do it alone!

That is very nice!  You can never have enough friends and, let's face it, people willing to help you with heavy stuff around the yard when you're widowed, ha.  I have a 63 year-old bachelor neighbor who I've been friends with since buying my house almost 4 years ago - he's 20 years my senior and there's never been any spark, but he is nice, thoughtful and has helped me with a few yard equipment hassles. 

And as for your neighbor guy, as several have said - you never know! 

Good for you!!

Over the years...I have found that my neighbors were the ones who were always there to help. You and your son are right in front of them....they will enjoy watching him grow up.

Single tall male neighbors are a plus too! I still adore Playboy Neighbor and he's given my 12 year old lots of odd jobs to do while he's gone for $$$