Helpful Advice

One of my financial institutions sent me a book of helpful tips for the new widow. It said that most widows have a certain time of day that is particularly challenging. Their advice was to schedule a card game with friends or to clean the oven during this hour or two. Apparently I need to start throwing slumber parties so I can wake people up at 2 a.m. for a little Bridge or Gin Rummy. Or I can just get up in the middle of the night and attempt a complex cleaning ritual full of poisonous fumes and high levels of heat.

I do sometimes wonder why the world has gone mad....

Cards and oven cleaning.  I get the cards - at least that can be done more than once.  To need to clean the oven daily, you'd have to be an extremely messy cook.

Although I do tend to clean the microwave when the tears start to flow - nobody can see my face when I spent ten minutes doing that, and with my kids and my awful cooking skills (and general laziness in the kitchen), it does tend to look like someone's thrown up in there on a fairly regular basis.

But yeah, weird advice.  Wonder where they got that from?

But yeah, weird advice.  Wonder where they got that from?

Ladies Home Journal 1954?

You crack me up Canadiangirl !!!

But more so, the book of magical tips !  Clean the oven..... my ass....Maybe the booklet was written by a widow, having widowbrain who wanted to tell fellow widow something useful but wrote that instead ????.. clean the oven, can't get over it...how constructive.....

I have no idea where they got the book. I received it from USAA, which is a fine institution that often gives me empowering and useful strategies for living my best possible life, but this book? Not so much. It did give me a laugh, though.