Roomba

serpico

Guest TooSoon

I don't know but if you do get one and have pets you can make some pretty nifty videos of them riding on it and post them on youtube (cf. cat in shark costume riding roomba).

BIL has one. He says it's good for regular cleaning, as in if you use it often it does a pretty good job. They have two dogs and I guess it handle the hair pretty good. I don't know which model he has, but it does have a tendency to get itself trapped in certain rooms sometimes maybe because of the configuration of the house.

Guest Kamcho

I love my roomba. Everybody needs a pet robot. It does get caught on the wooden threshold between rooms. It is smart enough not to fall down stairs.

I have the pet series, got it at costco.

Supposedly they are open source software and you can hack them. I haven't played with that as I haven't even mastered the routine, automatic clean settings.

But one day it will respond to "Basil!" With a british accent and call me "your godessness."

I had a friend that did a lot of research on robot vacuums and he has a neato.  Got mine about 2 weeks ago and so far I love it!  You can set a schedule or just push the button when you want it to go.  I have two cats and it seems to handle the fur when I run it every other day and empty the bin each time. 

Unfortunately my cats hate it so I have no fun youtube videos :( 

Guest sphoc

I've had my Roomba about 5 years now. I have the 550 (I think?), but I upgraded it's innards about 6 months ago with the newer motor, and the thing works like a charm. I have a dog and four cats, so Roomba gets a workout. I still need to bust out the canister vacuum every now and then, but it makes a huge difference in daily cleaning. I set it to run while I take the dog for a walk, and sometimes the cat will turn it on when he wants to annoy the dog. No one ever takes it for a ride, though.